Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The (far) future of hex

Hero of Adamanth

The (far) future of hex

No one may find this interesting except me, but oh well.

Hex is obviously only meant to be a digital TCG. But I was thinking with the rate of technological advance (singularity ftw) and using digital paper among other technologies what may be possible. A card with a chip in it, the ability to change its appearance and communicate with every other card could handle most things hex currently does.

The tricK is addong cards to the deck. You could just be alerted when this is necessary but that's kind of lame. Or just play with a bunch of extra cards to handle this, if not used you have a bunch of blank cards at the bottom of your deck-also not that cool. What would be best is if one card could actually split in to two and each card increases in thickness so some cards aren't thinner than others. Sounds impossible but with how fast things move I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible much faster than anyone expects.

It would be cool to have a hex deck-that could be any deck you own with a word (or thought) and be able to play in the real world.

Eventually there may be cards that are completely impossible to play in physical space. In that case yoiu may have to resort to VR (see other thread). This both adds and detracts from the "cool factor" but has the advantage of being possible now.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justinkp View Post
    No one may find this interesting except me, but oh well.

Hex is obviously only meant to be a digital TCG. But I was thinking with the rate of technological advance (singularity ftw) and using digital paper among other technologies what may be possible. A card with a chip in it, the ability to change its appearance and communicate with every other card could handle most things hex currently does.

The tricK is addong cards to the deck. You could just be alerted when this is necessary but that's kind of lame. Or just play with a bunch of extra cards to handle this, if not used you have a bunch of blank cards at the bottom of your deck-also not that cool. What would be best is if one card could actually split in to two and each card increases in thickness so some cards aren't thinner than others. Sounds impossible but with how fast things move I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible much faster than anyone expects.

It would be cool to have a hex deck-that could be any deck you own with a word (or thought) and be able to play in the real world.

Eventually there may be cards that are completely impossible to play in physical space. In that case yoiu may have to resort to VR (see other thread). This both adds and detracts from the "cool factor" but has the advantage of being possible now.

Justin
    Having cards on "digital" paper, would be expensive as hell. And the card game also runs on % chance and cards that Randomly take ANY card in the game and have it go somewhere (Chest O hex, etc.). Cannot really do that even with RL TCG. No matter how digitally the paper may seem. This game requires a lot of things that can only be done in a system that "does not exist in reality" only in the digital space.
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

Gigantisaur
    Forget digital paper, give me a holodeck.
    ---
    B.M.R.
    The Last of the Dragon Lords (+Pro)

Master Theorycrafter
    was reminiscing the other night and all I really need is a power glove that has motion control - nintendo did that right but it didn't come back. So many middle aged gamers with fond memories and cash to blow, a power glove would probably do pretty well .
    Hi, my name is Malicus and my will to resist Hex is weak.

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesbudt View Post
    Having cards on "digital" paper, would be expensive as hell. And the card game also runs on % chance and cards that Randomly take ANY card in the game and have it go somewhere (Chest O hex, etc.). Cannot really do that even with RL TCG. No matter how digitally the paper may seem. This game requires a lot of things that can only be done in a system that "does not exist in reality" only in the digital space.
    Digital paper will be expensive at first and drop in price, don't see why the % chance would be at sll a problem when each card is basically a computer and having a card go somewhere I also don't see as much of a problem.

Besides this wasn't a very serious post but a fun idea of what future tech could allow. Virtual reality hex is much more realistic, see my post on that if you want.

Justin

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by Malicus View Post
    was reminiscing the other night and all I really need is a power glove that has motion control - nintendo did that right but it didn't come back. So many middle aged gamers with fond memories and cash to blow, a power glove would probably do pretty well .
    Well they have cameras that can record the movements of all 10 of your fingers and use that as gestural control so you don't even need the glove now unless you want it for some type of tactile feedback.

My friends and I weren't fans of the power glove, could never seem to get it to work right. I remember when my friend bought his instead of a game I begged him not to, haha.

Justin

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by jai151 View Post
    Forget the holodeck, just upload me!

Quote Originally Posted by jai151 View Post
    +1
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Want more Hex content? Check out card breakdowns, PvE guides, and other Hex videos at:
    The SeriousBsnsGames channel

If you insist in playing "in the meat" like a bloody savage it's fairly possible today with a large touchscreen as the playing surface and a couple of tablets for hidden info like your hand and general's tent artifact triggers, etc.

Hero of Adamanth
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJoe View Post
    If you insist in playing "in the meat" like a bloody savage it's fairly possible today with a large touchscreen as the playing surface and a couple of tablets for hidden info like your hand and general's tent artifact triggers, etc.
    That does sound like an interesting way to play. I'd like to see tabletop RPGs do something similar. I have an in depth idea for an RPG app but not nearly the skill to implement it, very frustrating.