Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestral Specter

Ancestral Specter

So I was browsing some cards and I saw this: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/car...ralSpecter.jpg

Is this for real? costs 1, its a 2/2 with flight and you get to draw a card when it comes into play? OMG!!!

Isnt that to much?

Im new here but I this card in particular seems super powerfull to me or am I seing things wrong?

Regards!

Hi Cipri! Welcome to the forums!
    A few cards like that caught me off guard too, but fear not! If you look at the colored box at the bottom center of that card, the color indicates the rarity of the card. Cards with greyed boxes like that are 'tokens' or 'system' cards that aren't actual cards in your collection. Ancestral Specter is a 'card' generated by another card, 'The Ancestor's Chosen.' That card is a one-cost spell that, at the beginning of your turn, creates two Ancestral Specters and shuffles them into your library. So, they are very strong cards, but you don't have very great chances of drawing them after making them. Other cards that seem very powerful for their cost are frequently also generated by other cards in one manner or another.

For reference, the rarity colors are
    White: Common
    Green: Uncommon
    Blue: Rare
    Red: Legendary
    Orange: Promotional version
    Grey: System/token/AI only, not a card for your collection.
    Also, if a card is a PvE card, it will have a little mask symbol to the left of this rarity box to indicate this.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

Thanks Aradon, that makes perfect sence, after all I was really missing something

Many thanks,
    Cipri

Banned
    So heres something Ive been wondering about this card.

When they are shuffled into your deck, are they just placed randomly into your deck or is your whole deck plus the 2 new cards shuffled together?

Now I think we would all expect it to be the latter but its possible (if not likely) it was coded to be the former.

Since it says the word shuffle, I would expect the whole deck is shuffled. If you've seen the top card of your library, for example, it would probably be different after the Ancestor's trigger.

If it doesn't work like that, I would expect a different wording, since 'shuffle' is pretty clear, and not vague.
    In-game: Obsidian || Collector backer || Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulea Acadamy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradon View Post
    Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!

My interpretation is that the cards wil be randomly put in your deck without providing a shuffle effect. if this was triggering a shuffle effect, then it should have been worded like 'create 2 tokens and put them into your deck; shuffle your deck'. Note this wouldn't be possible/allowed in mtg for example because it would have been considered cheating. But here the game does this for you. Could be wrong though

Here is the card for reference

ancestor_chosen.jpg
    http://files.enjin.com/89273/Forum%2..._shadowelf.jpg

Questions about hex? Check my FAQ, Want to work as a game designer?CZE's Apprentiship Program

and "Shuffle" them into your deck. Not place them. If you were able to randomly place them in person (physical card game) then you can easily place them near the top. Shuffling the entire deck seems more viable

I have to agree with Shadowelf's interpretation. Shuffle them into your deck, to me, says they will be randomly placed in your deck. The rest of the cards in your deck are not altered by that, except the 2 cards that used to be next to each other before this card was inserted.

To me it seems just as clear that your whole deck should be getting shuffled, so if you just set your deck with a Peek spell, for example, that ordering would go away. That's the definition of 'shuffle'. If it were the other way, it would say something like "Insert the card at a random spot in your deck."

I guess we'll find out when we either get a rulebook or alpha starts and we can test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar78 View Post
    I have to agree with Shadowelf's interpretation. Shuffle them into your deck, to me, says they will be randomly placed in your deck. The rest of the cards in your deck are not altered by that, except the 2 cards that used to be next to each other before this card was inserted.
    The basic idea of "shuffle them into your deck" means they are inserted by shuffling your deck.