Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: escalation to strong atm

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtatta View Post
    ...The point is that they're a bit format warping and a bit too powerful...
    Well, as has been said, the format ISN'T. There is no format. But aside from that, there are many counters (in the general sense, NOT just countermagic) that become more viable the more viable escalation is. I have lost maybe 2-3 games since the first wave started to an escalation mechanic that wouldn't have happened anyway. I don't play any escalation decks (well, one mono-ruby deck, but Ragefire hasn't WON me a single game), but I love the flavor of the cards, and I think the game would be less colorful without them.

So, IF escalation mechanics become crazy powerful, and IF the counters to them don't pan out as well as hoped, and IF the meta-game balance is permanently skewed in a negative way because of that, I do have an option that hasn't been mentioned:
    raise the cost with each iteration of the card. Card effect is still exponential, leaving the flavor and power of the card intact, but ever increasing resource consumption would slow it down, if only a touch. Another idea would be to have increasing backfire effects. For example, each time you cast a card, you must sac a creature...or an increasing number of creatures...or a resource. The possibilities for creating limiting factors to escalation cards without taking away the awesomeness that is the digital flavor of the escalation mechanic are almost limitless. We don't have to limit the cards themselves I think.
    AeternaArx in game.

I've only won 3 games out of 60 because of Escalation...I don't really see how that is a huge advantage and yes I used escalation in each of those games. Keep in mind Escalation cards are only useful when they're drawn...and out of 40 games with Ragefire only one game was I able to get it to the 16/32 mark...come to think of it it hit both those marks because they kept healing!

Well, Escalation got nerfed to go up by a set number and not double every time. That's the change I was hoping for. Some Escalation cards (like Chronic Madness) got buffed to compensate.

Eternal Guardian
    Quote Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
    Well, Escalation got nerfed to go up by a set number and not double every time. That's the change I was hoping for. Some Escalation cards (like Chronic Madness) got buffed to compensate.
    Agreed. This actually gives them greater flexiblity in card design as it's much easier to play with the numbers when it isn't straight doubling every time.
    Go Fish

I mean, "I told you so?"

Eternal Guardian
    I mean, "I told you so?"
    But, but Countermagic...
    Go Fish

I mean, "I told you so?"
    I can only assume he's speaking for the whole HexTCGPro team since we've basically all been championing this change.
    Read all about Hex straight from the pros at HexTCGPro.com!
    Stream: www.twitch.tv/Disordia

Quote Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
    My first thought was that CM would suffer with the nerf, but it still does 60 cards total with the 5th cast. I'm not sold on milling being a viable win condition, but a complementary card to HTL it's a buff.

Quote Originally Posted by mudkip View Post
    My first thought was that CM would suffer with the nerf, but it still does 60 cards total with the 5th cast. I'm not sold on milling being a viable win condition, but a complementary card to HTL it's a buff.
    Chronic Madness, Nin, some of the troops/orbs that mill your opponent, and even Cerebral Fulmination... it's a thing but it's not the most powerful thing you could do. Once you add in booby traps it does make it a bit more dangerous though. I think it's something that is doable now, but probably won't be a big tournament deck or anything.

I am sure other cards will be introduced to deal with this.
    For example:
    There could be a card that reverts all cards in an opponents deck that have a modified value, and divide those values by 2.
    A creature or artifact that sends all escalation cards to the graveyard when played.
    A creature, artifact or ability that sends X escalation cards from opponents deck to the graveyard. (Could in-fact be another escalation card.)

Hopefully, once more cards are revealed, and sets, Escalation will be more of a gimmick combo deck concept, rather than an effective constructive deck finisher. There should be cards easily side-boarded to deal with escalation.