Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: One free re-draw

  1. #11
    Rigid Buffalo
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    93
    I would propose something like this -- you have one free redraw you can use anytime if you get 0 or a full hand of resources, which doesn't count as a mulligan (forget about 1 or max hand - 1, that's too many edge cases, come on).

    E.g. if you drew 1 resource the first hand, then choose to mulligan and pare down to 6... but on the 2nd draw you drew 6 resources, then you could use your free redraw to draw 6 once again. Then your freebie is gone and if you drew 0 resources in that next hand of 6, you're SoL and would have to use a standard mulligan to draw 5 (if you so desired).

    But who are we kidding guys, they aren't going to change the rules on this.

    Cheers...
    -B.

  2. #12
    One free mulligan would be great. But so would 2, or 3, or 4, etc. There are numerous ways to deal with the initial draw and with mulling, but there's a pretty good reason why it's set up the way it is. The main point of a mulligan is to get rid of an unplayable hand, not to attempt to draw a perfect hand. If you have a free mull, it encourages throwing away playable, but not perfect, hands with very little thought. Redrawing one card each time is supposed to make the decision to mull more difficult. Do you stick with a sub-par, but playable hand, or do you hope to get a better hand with fewer cards? If your deck is well constructed, you shouldn't have to mull often, and when you do, you should be able to get a playable 6 card hand. If you find yourself mulling a lot, you might need to retool your deck.

    Remember, mulling to 6 is way better than being forced to keep an unplayable 7 card hand. And it could be possible to change the mull rules in player created tournaments.
    Keep name is Essq

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlschool View Post
    One free mulligan would be great. But so would 2, or 3, or 4, etc. There are numerous ways to deal with the initial draw and with mulling, but there's a pretty good reason why it's set up the way it is. The main point of a mulligan is to get rid of an unplayable hand, not to attempt to draw a perfect hand. If you have a free mull, it encourages throwing away playable, but not perfect, hands with very little thought. Redrawing one card each time is supposed to make the decision to mull more difficult. Do you stick with a sub-par, but playable hand, or do you hope to get a better hand with fewer cards? If your deck is well constructed, you shouldn't have to mull often, and when you do, you should be able to get a playable 6 card hand. If you find yourself mulling a lot, you might need to retool your deck.

    Remember, mulling to 6 is way better than being forced to keep an unplayable 7 card hand. And it could be possible to change the mull rules in player created tournaments.
    I agree with this.

    There's nothing that will be solved by 1 free mulligan. And if the standard were 1 free mulligan than all these threads would be about how you should get a second free mulligan.

  4. #14
    Yeah think lawlschool hit the nail on the head, u need a deck that should not need to be mulled more than once every so 20 or so games

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiba_Graysoul View Post
    Yeah think lawlschool hit the nail on the head, u need a deck that should not need to be mulled more than once every so 20 or so games
    If you have 17 resources in a 40 card deck (the usual for limited play) - then you have around a 12% chance to get 0,1,6,7 resources (all of which you would mulligan pretty much every time). That's 1 in 8 games you're auto-mulling. If you add other factors like colors screw or 2/5 resource fringe situations then the number increases even more.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    If you have 17 resources in a 40 card deck (the usual for limited play) - then you have around a 12% chance to get 0,1,6,7 resources (all of which you would mulligan pretty much every time). That's 1 in 8 games you're auto-mulling. If you add other factors like colors screw or 2/5 resource fringe situations then the number increases even more.
    So? A large part of these type of games is about strategizing around unfavorable odds. The reason the mull exists in the first place is to combat the fact that a non-trivial number of hands will be barely playable.
    Keep name is Essq

  7. #17
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    103
    A free mulligan would be a great thing to tack onto a piece of equipment, but in regular play/tournaments I think they should keep it the same.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlschool View Post
    So? A large part of these type of games is about strategizing around unfavorable odds.
    Sorry but how do you 'strategize' around receiving all resources/no resources if you have already put in the optimal amount of resources in your deck? You're put at a serious disadvantage before the game even begins..and I'm not sure that's really required when there's already plenty of RNG in such a game.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlace View Post
    there's already plenty of RNG in such a game.
    I.e. drawing cards, which includes your initial hand.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlschool View Post
    If you have a free mull, it encourages throwing away playable, but not perfect, hands with very little thought.
    If you limit the free mulligan to if there are zero resources, then you aren't throwing away playable hands.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •