Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Greenlight

Steam Greenlight

I was wondering if we, or CZE, were going to attempt to get HEX Greenlite in Steam? I remembered that Planetary Annihilation is doing their alpha/beta through Steam (also via the PA website for those that do not like Steam) and any new Slacker Backers would get instant access to the current Alpha.

Or was CZE going to try to get into Steam without going through Greenlight.

Pro's
    One thing I'd like is that Steam could update HEX while I'm at work/sleeping, in which I'd have the current version without (possibility) needing to run the HEX Launcher for said update. Also this could pull some of the bandwidth strains from GF onto Steam.

And there's the advertisement (nearly free of course via Greenlight) to over 7.1 million Steam users.

It'd be easier to ban users via Steam.

Cons
    The problem I can see is if/when Slacker Backer is going to be removed so that the F2P can kick off. I guess that some Starter Decks could be setup under an optional purchase.

The other problem is the server thing. This I have zero clues upon how it works. I assume that CZE would continue to use GameForge for the server space.

I'm sure this Alpha is also testing the bandwidth of GF.

Loosing 30% (or w/e their fee is) to 'sell' on Steam.

How would the 'gardens' work with Steam.

Getting the HEX forums to have sign in capability with Steam (if CZE bothers). This is somewhat a Pro as well.

Conderation
    I know this would stress the servers more. This could be bad or good.

Popcorn Time
    So, I'm looking for opinions, pro, con. Don't really care if you hate Steam or not, we're not discussing that.
    I see your big guild sig image and raise you an Adblock!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetah View Post
    I've seen enough hentai to know where thats going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory_Jones View Post
    Hahahahahhahaha
    Fair enough

HEX Support: support.hextcg.com

Master Theorycrafter
    Personally I don't really see the need. Even as someone who uses Steam a lot... The selling point here would be the increased publicity but I don't know it just seems a bit unnecessary. *shrugs*

I'm sure that Hex will go to Steam and it's not unnecessary because of the push in players and the free advertisement.

But it would be a terrible idea to bring it in the current state to steam. Let Hex be a niche (well, niche with <20.000 players in an Alpha) and once it goes into beta or even release (which would be the best idea I think) it can go to steam.

Why? Because then it will be the product that most of us expect and hopefully won't have all the issues we are all facing now (which is OK btw. because it's an Alpha)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxic View Post
    I'm sure that Hex will go to Steam and it's not unnecessary because of the push in players and the free advertisement.

But it would be a terrible idea to bring it in the current state to steam. Let Hex be a niche (well, niche with <20.000 players in an Alpha) and once it goes into beta or even release (which would be the best idea I think) it can go to steam.

Why? Because then it will be the product that most of us expect and hopefully won't have all the issues we are all facing now (which is OK btw. because it's an Alpha)

I could be wrong because I only have done a bit of stuff with steam greenlight, but I thought it was just like KS where you have a video and description of what your game and people either invest in it or "greenlight" it and claim they will invest in it. They don't get a copy of the game immediately until it eventually releases which seems to be anywhere between weeks or months later. So they could put it up there now to get steam and publicity and then release copies once it hits beta.
    http://i.imgur.com/vpwTfLE.png
    Come visit us at Hex Savvy for articles, strategy and community!

No, completly wrong, but no problem:P

It's a program for games which won't make it to steam otherwise. Usually you need a publisher with a few titles already published (especially if it's a small one) to get to steam or you need to be a bigger independent studio.

Steam greenlight gives you the opportunity to get on a list where people/the community votes for it (just a click, no money) and if it reaches a certain amount of "likes" (nobody knows the exact number) it gets to steam. And usually there are special Steam packages for the game when it is a F2P-Title and the game gets a huge spike in players. Take a look at War Thunder f.e.. I play the game since January and before steam there were ~35k people online when it was prime time. Once it was released through steam the population went immediately up to 50k and more and sometimes during special events up to 80k.

Steam is an extremly important advertising rostrum for titles (beside the whole "store" aspect) especially for the US and UK and Cryptozoic would be stupid to let this chance went by once the game is released.
    Last edited by Paradoxic; 12-03-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Last word from CZE is they have no plans to use steam. But steam integration will be built into the client so you could add it manually if you want.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

Well, let's see if it changes once it is released which is still far, far away and many things and oppinions can change.

And sorry, steam integration? I can add every game, even software through steam, the only thing they have to do is to make the overlay work but this isn't the interesting thing here.

Of course the advertisement is great for the company (and this would be my main reason why it should go to steam = more players = more fun) but steam offers a bunch of other stuff, too. Especially the payment options/steam wallet is great. Crypto is an US Company so I think the payment-options will be pretty restrictive in the beginning (CC's of course an maybe Pay Pal, but not that much) and steam offers a variety of differnet payment options which is great because many people outside the US don't have a credit card f.e. Further more you have a guide section, forums, friend list an so on. I would be sad if HEX wouldn't make it to steam and I think it would be a missed opportunity for the compnay to get more players, too.

Try adding Hex now for the overlay. Then you will understand.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Yes, it doesn't work, I know, thats why I said it one post above yours. So what should I understand?

But I said that this is the least interesting thing either and if they won't put Hex to steam... well, then they dont't have to "develop" the overlay because you just benefit from it when the game is officially available in the steam store. Otherwise there is not that much to benefit from this other then the steam friendlist. Of course this is just my opionion.
    Last edited by Paradoxic; 12-03-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Sorry what I mean is that is all they will do - they aren't obligated to fully integrate it, but they have suggested that they may be interested in certain features, like the overlay.

There is little to no chance of it being hosted on steam, and no chance of being on greenlight.

And the main benefit to the overlay is chatting with people playing other games. My friend is playing Bioshock, Farcry, or even WoW, I can just chat with them and even request that they come play me in Hex.
    Last edited by Xenavire; 12-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png