Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will CZE do Beta's for future sets in order to balance cards

Sensei of the Wounded Petal

Will CZE do Beta's for future sets in order to balance cards

I don't know if this has been discussed (my quick search didn't seem to turn up anything)

Right now in alpha we are seeing a fair amount of balance changes for cards.

I'm fine with this because we haven't paid for these cards.

I'm sure CZE will not want to have this level of change post release (set 4 or 5 down the road: when we will not have the use of cards before buying boosters presumably only played by internal balance testers).

I'm wondering in the future in order to balance cards before a set's release, would it be a good idea to run things like a 'set 4 beta' where players will be invited to try break the set?

This might allow them a larger testing ground in order to avoid banning.

Wizards keeps set information pretty close to the belt until a few weeks before pre-release, so this would be a very different take. I'm sure there would be downsides, but this is also not possible with physical cards and the advantages may outweigh any disadvantage that comes along with revealing information about up coming sets (such as effecting value of cards in the current set prematurely, also formats may stale more quickly with information existing longer between sets)

Opinions?

I would guess they would do a beta to work kinks out of the cards. It would spoil the set instantly so my guess would be its a week long beta.

I don't foresee them doing anything before set release. Because this is Alpha this is a time they would be balancing in house anyways, we are just seeing the process. The process makes me a bit uneasy as it is because honestly a lot of the nerfs were unnecessary, but since it is POSSIBLE to do nerfs currently people will beg for them and they have to respond.
    http://i.imgur.com/vpwTfLE.png
    Come visit us at Hex Savvy for articles, strategy and community!

Sensei of the Wounded Petal
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneRandom View Post
    I don't foresee them doing anything before set release. Because this is Alpha this is a time they would be balancing in house anyways, we are just seeing the process. The process makes me a bit uneasy as it is because honestly a lot of the nerfs were unnecessary, but since it is POSSIBLE to do nerfs currently people will beg for them and they have to respond.
    Hmm i agree, and with this in mind; it may actually become the norm if there is a bunch of external testing. I don't mind pushed cards stops things from being bland.

I do expect a PBE like many companies/games have, Public Beta Environment (I think). This would be a completely separate server where you get 4 each of the cards and can do PvP for all the different formats. Not saying they need to, but it would be really cool if they would. I know I would play it!!

I expect something more like the future future league. Very small scale balance testing. I'm hoping they keep it all in house. As far as I know they didn't prerelease wowtcg cards for public comment prior to releasing the set. I don't see why that would change.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

They are working on Set 3 as we wait. I doubt we'll see a PTR or such thing to 'test' new cards.
    I see your big guild sig image and raise you an Adblock!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetah View Post
    I've seen enough hentai to know where thats going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory_Jones View Post
    Hahahahahhahaha
    Fair enough

HEX Support: support.hextcg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaer View Post
    I expect something more like the future future league. Very small scale balance testing. I'm hoping they keep it all in house. As far as I know they didn't prerelease wowtcg cards for public comment prior to releasing the set. I don't see why that would change.
    Why would you want something which reduces the quality of the sets? Outsourcing much of balance testing to the playerbase saves time and money, which is why PTRs are so popular.

Imagine how much worse set 1 would be without all these balance changes from public testing.

Judging this as more of an MMO (because I have much more experience in that realm than I do with TCGs, and the online-nature of the game lends itself to the comparison)... you'll have a completely separate test-server that will be up, not all the time, but as they want to stress test and get feedback on new expansions or patches. It would be, basically, a beta-server, with none of the rewards or permanence of the main servers but a month or more ahead of the mains when it came to state-of-game... it becomes the realm of the data-crunchers and testers and such.

Again, that's treating this entirely as an MMO...

Master Theorycrafter
    I think one of the big problems we've seen is that they do not have a large enough testers base for now to squash all the bugs.
    Imagine you start your first payed draft in a new set and you lose due to a bug.
    Perhaps in time they will improve and increase their size enough for this to not be a problem, but for now I think getting players to help test is a must.