Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Predicting the Superheroes in Crisis

Another likely TL;DR manifesto!

OK, we know that we're getting co-op versions of the first eight Superheroes in the Crisis expansion, plus six new Superheroes. If we're getting six that have NOT appeared in the DC DBG yet, these are my predictions:

(click on the names for images)

Animal Man

Pros: extremely acclaimed comic book run in the mid-1980s by the legendary Grant Morrison; popular Vertigo reboot later on; very successful recent run in the New 52. He's been in a few crossover events over the years, most recently with Swamp Thing (who's already shown up in the DC DBG).

Cons: his New 52 run is ending this month (NO!), but he's joining one of the Justice League teams shortly thereafter (YES!). Still not very well-known, since he's always been a niche series.

Power Girl

Pros: popular superheroine that's had a hand in multiple Crisis events in the DC Universe. Had her own series multiple times before the New 52. Multiple appearances in New 52 comics, World's Finest in particular.

Cons: She's an alternate-dimension version of Supergirl, and that's kinda weird. She's probably most well-known for her figure and not her personality or accomplishments, which is also kinda weird.

Firestorm

Pros: his evil doppelganger, Deathstorm, is a player in the Forever Evil crossover event and Firestorm himself plays a minor role in a few different Forever Evil comics. He had his own New 52 series for about two years (canceled last year). He's been on several versions of the Justice League, including the 1980s Super Friends cartoon (LOL). His powers (manipulating energy and matter at the sub-atomic level) are pretty awesome.

Cons: he's probably a DC Comics B-lister at best, and his rogues gallery (Killer Frost, Multiplex) has mostly been folded into the greater set of Justice League villains.

Batwoman

Pros: her comic series is excellent (Detective Comics for a year or two pre-New 52 plus her own series in the New 52). Seeing J. H. Williams's art on a card game would be AWESOME. One of the higher-profile Gotham heroes that hasn't appeared on a DC DBG card yet.

Cons: her comic isn't nearly as good following the departure of artist and co-creator J. H. Williams. Batwoman wasn't involved in Night of Owls, Death of the Family, or any Justice League crossover event. This version of Batwoman has also never been in any TV or film production in the DC universe, contributing to her status as a lesser-known member of the bat-family. There are already cards for Batman, Batgirl, and Catwoman, which could be a little confusing. I have to admit I'm biased - Batwoman probably won't be in the game at all, but she's been one of my favorite comics characters of the past 4 or 5 years.

Dr. Fate

Pros: he's been in a variety of Justice League comics and TV shows, where he's (rightly) portrayed as one of the premier good-guy magic users in all of DC Comics. He has a New 52 presence in the JSA comic as well as recent crossover events. His helmet is a card in Heroes Unite, which is promising.

Cons: Maybe not as recognizable to casual fans as other Justice League mainstays. That's all I got. I think Dr. Fate is a likely candidate.

Static

Pros: the breakout star of the Milestone Comics universe that was brought into DC in the mid-90s. Had a fairly popular early-2000s cartoon. Occasional member of the Teen Titans, and the DC DBG has been kind to the Teen Titans universe. Minor role in the Young Justice cartoon. Static also had a solo New 52 comic.

Cons: His New 52 comic didn't last long, and recently he's had only a few cameo appearances. I admit I'm extremely biased - I loved his cartoon when I was in my early teens.

Other possibilities
    Star Sapphire / Carol Ferris - her ring's in Heroes Unite, and both games have certainly borrowed quite a bit from the Green Lantern mythos.
    Orion - we haven't seen anyone from the Fourth World in the DC DBG yet other than a few villains (Darkseid, Granny Goodness). If any hero from there makes it into the expansion it's probably Orion.
    Beast Boy / Changeling - we already have two Teen Titans as Superheroes for these games, and if another one is going to show up it's probably Static or Beast Boy.
    Red Hood - by far the most prominent of the Batman family that hasn't appeared in any of these games yet. Who's the next-most likely Bat-person to show up outside of Batwoman or Red Hood? Maybe Batwing?
    Vibe - surprisingly prominent character in the new JLA comic, and he had his own series for awhile. Also could put Stargirl into this spot.

If they weren't Hero cards already, I'd have put money on Catwoman or Green Arrow. Of course, Cryptozoic could buck the trend and make them into full-blown Superheroes. We'll see sometime in the next few months (hopefully).

So what do you guys think? Who are the likely new Superheroes for the Crisis expansion?

Eternal Guardian
    Given the currently popularity of Arrow, if the list doesn't begin with Green Arrow, it would be a total shame.

Others I would lke to see:

John Constantine
    John Stewart Green Lantern
    Catwoman
    Dr. Fate
    Earth 2 Heroes
    Go Fish

If Green Arrow, Catwoman, and Zatanna aren't all Super Heroes in the Crisis Expansion, I'd be shocked. Swamp Thing is another likely candidate, IMHO.

It would be interesting if they decided to make all six additional SH hero cards from the first set, complete with replacement cards for the card from the first set. (i.e., remove the "Green Arrow" card for his new corresponding card from the Crisis Expansion).

It has not been stated that all of the new Super-Heroes will be characters without a card in the current main deck.
    Nathaniel Yamaguchi
    CZE Playtester & Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird_13 View Post
    If Green Arrow, Catwoman, and Zatanna aren't all Super Heroes in the Crisis Expansion, I'd be shocked. Swamp Thing is another likely candidate, IMHO.

It would be interesting if they decided to make all six additional SH hero cards from the first set, complete with replacement cards for the card from the first set. (i.e., remove the "Green Arrow" card for his new corresponding card from the Crisis Expansion).
    I gotta say, I hope Catwoman and Zatana don't make the list only because DC products always rely too heavily on Batman for characters. It really is becoming a habit and a problem.

I agree that there have been too many batman characters, and there was a lot of green lantern cards, we need more diversity. So I think we need to change it up and put some flash, superman and wonder woman cards next. I am just hoping these heroes are in next or future expansions...

1. Green Arrow
    2. The Atom
    3. Doctor fate
    4. Zatanna
    -Captain Atom
    -Superboy
    -Supergirl or Powergirl
    -Raven
    -Blue Beetle
    -Plastic man
    -Hawkgirl
    -Beastboy
    -Huntress
    -Bwana Beast
    -firestorm
    -Black Lightning or Static shock
    -Red arrow? (we don't need robin, we already have nightwing)
    -Swamp Thing
    Last edited by vbui0803; 03-07-2014 at 02:49 PM.

They need to finish out the mainline super heroes first with:

Green Arrow
    Atom
    Firestorm
    Dr Fate
    Power Girl

Those would probably be the next 5...

I wouldnt mind seeing a Carol Ferris/Star Sapphire card.

Quote Originally Posted by aoineko View Post
    It has not been stated that all of the new Super-Heroes will be characters without a card in the current main deck.
    Right, but I (probably incorrectly) assumed that would be the case. I stand corrected. With that word from CZE, I would say that Green Arrow is a near-100% certainty, and a few others like Catwoman, Zatanna, Raven, Supergirl, and Blue Beetle are strong possibilities.

And in my initial list above: I admit a lot of it was wishful thinking. The Grant Morrison run of Animal Man comics is my favorite comic of the entire 1980s (yes, even more than Alan Moore's Watchmen or Chris Claremont's X-Men) and I love Batwoman for a number of reasons. I hope that CZE will find a way to put Animal Man into the DC Deck-Building game, but I admit he's a bit of a longshot.

It would make perfect sense for the six heroes to be Green Arrow, Zatanna, Catwoman, Raven, Blue Beetle, and another of the current blue card heroes, likely Swamp Thing (or Robin).

If they do that.. I could also see them including cards to replace the current deck cards for all of those heroes, giving them cards that instead correspond with the oversized Super Heroes.

I'm hoping the new Heroes are

Green Arrow
    Zatanna
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    Atom
    Guy Gardner
    Power Girl or Vixen

Has it been said if the expansion will also have a new promo hero?
    Last edited by VM99; 03-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.