Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Day Should be Sealed Day

Every Day Should be Sealed Day

Hey all,

I missed the last Sealed Sunday due to work. I've been wanting to scratch the itch but it's hard to attract players in the queue.

How about we set up some times every day that can attract people who want to play sealed?

What do people think of congregating for sealed tournaments every weekday at 8 EDT? Being on the east coast I'd like it to be earlier but I'd also like those lucky enough on the west coast that can get out at 5 p.m. to catch the game. (Those not in the Americas are welcome to play but I know the times are more problematic).

Weekends can be at a different time; I'd vote to move it up to noon EDT as we can get some more global play.

So to reiterate:

SEALED PLAY TIMES
    Monday - Friday: 8 PM EDT / 5 PM PST / 12 AM GMT / 10 AM EST (AUS/NZ +1 day)
    Saturday / Sunday: 12 PM EDT / 9 AM PST / 4 PM GMT / 2 AM EST (AUS/NZ +1 day)

If there is enough interest I'll either update these slot times with a consensus or add more (such as different slots for people not in the Americas).
    Last edited by fido_one; 05-21-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Always get my EDTs and ESTs confused

I've never had issues getting a draft game going at any time any day.

Sealed is tougher than other drafts simply because you have to throw in so many packs.

Though, I would be in for those times.

Also, there are a couple thousand people receiving Free Draft tickets every week, but no one gets Free Sealed tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
    I've never had issues getting a draft game going at any time any day.
    Yeah, drafts are still hopping, which is awesome. This is for sealed - as someone else noted, there are no tickets and the 'price of admission' is higher (6 packs instead of 3).

Still, if you're itching to open up your boosters and don't want to stress out about the scrum for cards that happens in a draft, no better / more efficient way to do that than a swiss sealed tournament!

Gigantisaur
    Hypothetically speaking... if tournament tickets were to be usable for any format... do you think Sealed would instantly become the preferred format, simply from a value perspective?

My personal opinion is that most people would still continue to play draft, because that is the format that more people enjoy most. Of course, without other people weighing in on the subject, that is pure conjecture. But if true, Hex could open up Sealed to free ticket play and 30-40% of the draft playerbase would switch to Sealed, making both formats active.

Also worth noting that right now the game is awash in free tourny tickets, which won't always be the case. When people are actually paying for packs and entry fees, something might have to be done to the Sealed reward structure to make it more competitive with draft's value ($13 vs $7 for some share of a 12 pack prize)

Quote Originally Posted by MatWith1T View Post
    Hypothetically speaking... if tournament tickets were to be usable for any format... do you think Sealed would instantly become the preferred format, simply from a value perspective?

My personal opinion is that most people would still continue to play draft, because that is the format that more people enjoy most. Of course, without other people weighing in on the subject, that is pure conjecture. But if true, Hex could open up Sealed to free ticket play and 30-40% of the draft playerbase would switch to Sealed, making both formats active.

Also worth noting that right now the game is awash in free tourny tickets, which won't always be the case. When people are actually paying for packs and entry fees, something might have to be done to the Sealed reward structure to make it more competitive with draft's value ($13 vs $7 for some share of a 12 pack prize)
    I think draft will always be more popular for a variety of reasons - the draft pick process is a lot of fun and it's a play style that relies on skill as much as luck. Picking cards in draft is inherently different from sealed or just cracking a pack, however. You don't look at draft booster as your cards until you select them, and you need to weigh selecting them with the ability to play in the tournament. Sometimes I find that fun, other times I do not. Sealed has, in my opinion, has more luck imbued into it than draft, which is great because my skill level sucks at all TCGs.

With sealed I see it as "I'm sitting on unopened boosters, and for an extra dollar I can open 6 of them, get some gold, and probably one or more extra boosters". Unless I'm super unlucky/bad-that-day, it's a booster for a buck, which I'm game for even with my cache of boosters from the KS. I love cracking packs and I still get an equivalent rush at the start of a sealed tournament, I don't get that hit with draft.

So I think you're right on your points Mat, though I think beyond the economics of entry fee and winnings there are people like me who are attracted to it for non-economical/competitive reasons.

Gigantisaur
    Quote Originally Posted by fido_one View Post
    So I think you're right on your points Mat, though I think beyond the economics of entry fee and winnings there are people like me who are attracted to it for non-economical/competitive reasons.

I'm in the same boat... there are many times I'd rather be playing Sealed purely because I'd rather be playing Sealed.

Ignoring costs and payouts and tournament tickets and all that, I believe you are right - all things equal, Draft will always be more popular than Sealed. But since Draft is also cheaper (potentially free) and quicker to get a game, the scales are way out of balance - you would expect the breakdown of tournaments to be something like 70-80% Draft vs 20-30% Sealed, instead of the current 100% to 0% (except when everyone plans to play Sealed a week in advance on the forums).

I mention the economics because its the only tool Hex/CZE really has to increase demand for the format. Though I'd rather be playing Sealed at times, there is much greater incentive to just play Draft instead (it's cheaper and you can play it more or less instantly right now). Since the waiting time is a result of demand (and not something the CZE can 'turn a knob' to fix), the only tool CZE has to shift the incentive to play to a more balanced place is by 'turning knobs' on price and payouts. I'm looking for options that would reduce a player's incentive to 'just go play Draft instead' when they'd rather be trying out Sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scammanator View Post
    Also, there are a couple thousand people receiving Free Draft tickets every week, but no one gets Free Sealed tickets.
    what are the free draft ticket from? do slacker backers get free drafts? i thought they got VIP but i havnt gotten an email for it.

I think that if the current draft tickets were changed to generic tournament entry tickets and no other changes were made the more competitive players would stick to draft and the more casual players would switch to sealed.

For a player who is likely to take 1st or second in a draft, draft remains the better value (45 cards +5 or 3 unopened packs), and the draft format reduces the effects of randomization on the outcome by sharing the card pool among all players 9giving more skilled players a better chance of taking the top spots).

For a player who is less likely to take 1st or 2nd entering a sealed tournament with a ticket would bet the better value (90 cards + up to 3 unopened packs) and the separate card pools means luck is a bigger factor which means a batter win chance for lower skill players.

I can't really see anyone using a ticket for constructed unless that ticket was only good for constructed.