Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proxy Deck Building Discussion

Proxy Deck Building Discussion

IMO they should set Constructed tournaments to not require you to own the cards until the AH/trading are implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by mach View Post
    IMO they should set Constructed tournaments to not require you to own the cards until the AH/trading are implemented.
    So they should stop working on the AH/trading to implement a ghost-Constructed format that they're then going to remove when they finish the features they're currently working on? Um...
    Watch me on Twitch!

Master Theorycrafter
    That would be pretty backwards but AH/trading is needed badly

Quote Originally Posted by Rendakor View Post
    So they should stop working on the AH/trading to implement a ghost-Constructed format that they're then going to remove when they finish the features they're currently working on? Um...
    It's less a matter of adding something than it is removing something (one of the validation checks).

It's less a matter of adding something than it is removing something (one of the validation checks).
    You are underestimating the work required to do this. They would have to do multiple things to make this work.

First: Allow proxy cards that are easily identifiable in the collection. Because they can't grant everyone all the cards and then roll everything back later, because collections are live. The whole thing would be a massive mess.

Second: Allowing deckbuilding with cards that aren't a legal part of your collection. Just because they could create proxy cards, they have to be able to differentiate between legitimate cards and the fakes.

Third: They need to create a way to mass remove proxies from all accounts at once without leaving any behind.

The dev time on all those separate parts would not be trivial - they could waste two or months on it easily, and I imagine the AH would be done long before that.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

Quote Originally Posted by Xenavire View Post
    You are underestimating the work required to do this. They would have to do multiple things to make this work.

First: Allow proxy cards that are easily identifiable in the collection. Because they can't grant everyone all the cards and then roll everything back later, because collections are live. The whole thing would be a massive mess.

Second: Allowing deckbuilding with cards that aren't a legal part of your collection. Just because they could create proxy cards, they have to be able to differentiate between legitimate cards and the fakes.

Third: They need to create a way to mass remove proxies from all accounts at once without leaving any behind.

The dev time on all those separate parts would not be trivial - they could waste two or months on it easily, and I imagine the AH would be done long before that.
    They don't need to create proxy cards. They do need to make it so you can deckbuild with cards you don't own, but that's a feature they should add anyway. I should be able to create a deck using the full card pool and then acquire the cards I'm missing. Preferably at some point with a tool which allows me to buy all the cards I'm missing from the AH at the lowest available price in a single action.

They don't need to create proxy cards. They do need to make it so you can deckbuild with cards you don't own, but that's a feature they should add anyway. I should be able to create a deck using the full card pool and then acquire the cards I'm missing. Preferably at some point with a tool which allows me to buy all the cards I'm missing from the AH at the lowest available price in a single action.
    I don't think that they will ever let you place cards you don't own into your deck. The AH interaction with the collection will just buy the card and place it in your collection, which is perfectly fine.

But at this point in time, they absolutely would need proxies (because to do what you are asking would actually take months more than what I have described.) Making proxy cards would take a few flags, and some extra framework - your idea would take finishing an incomplete feature, adding unplanned functionality to it, and then making it compatible with tournaments.

Niether option is good and niether option would make it live before the AH.

I don't think that they will ever let you place cards you don't own into your deck.
    If true, that's very disappointing. The majority of serious competitive TCG players I know build their decks first and then acquire the cards they need. Hex is supposed to be innovating, not taking steps backwards.

So this is something they should add - and quickly, if they want to attract competitive players. Once they have it they don't need proxies.

If true, that's very disappointing. The majority of serious competitive TCG players I know build their decks first and then acquire the cards they need. Hex is supposed to be innovating, not taking steps backwards.

So this is something they should add - and quickly, if they want to attract competitive players. Once they have it they don't need proxies.
    Considering how cheap Hex is, I think it would be counter-productive to allow people to play with what would essentially be proxies completely for free.

However, I could see this being part of the VIP program, since it isn't completely free then (and it makes for another good selling point.) Besides, with so many different kinds of cards and mercs etc out there, where would you draw the line? That is something that worries me a little.

I think with guild banks it would be more than acceptable to not have this feature - if you want to test things, join a guild. I know I am working on a full collection of set 1 for this exact reason.

Master Theorycrafter
    Considering how cheap Hex is, I think it would be counter-productive to allow people to play with what would essentially be proxies completely for free.

However, I could see this being part of the VIP program, since it isn't completely free then (and it makes for another good selling point.) Besides, with so many different kinds of cards and mercs etc out there, where would you draw the line? That is something that worries me a little.

I think with guild banks it would be more than acceptable to not have this feature - if you want to test things, join a guild. I know I am working on a full collection of set 1 for this exact reason.
    He means that you should be able to build decks using cards you don't own. But the deck won't be valid (playable) until you acquire said cards.

I sure hope this feature is implemented some time down the road too. I would love to be able to create a deck from the entire card pool to see what cards I need to buy (and have links straight to the AH to buy them).