Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why tap?

Why tap?

Being in a digitally exclusive, why do we need to simulate tapping a card?

Can't we have alternate method of representing them? Such as change the card to black and white while exhausted. Have a big label that it is exhausted etc.

What cool way of representing this can you guys think?
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

It needs to be something that anyone can look at once and see the state of the board. Can't do colours too much (colourblind people) and it has to still look presentable.

I think exhausting things is perfectly acceptable and clear about what it does.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

The summoning sickness represents the same thing as exhausting, correct? Why can't that effect just be used?

Incorrect. There's a few differences between summoning sickness and exhaustion, but the biggest one is that a creature with summoning sickness can block and an exhausted one cannot.
    Keep Name: Shalott
    Proud member of Clan Blackblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo24 View Post
    Incorrect. There's a few differences between summoning sickness and exhaustion, but the biggest one is that a creature with summoning sickness can block and an exhausted one cannot.
    Ah, that's true. What are the other differences?

Quote Originally Posted by hexnaes View Post
    Ah, that's true. What are the other differences?
    Creatures with summoning sickness can't use abilities that would require tapping the creature to use.

If you mean HEX shouldn't turn cards sideways because WoTC has an overly broad patent claiming it as their invention, don't bother. They invented any means of indicating that a card has been spent for the turn under the broad definition of tapping, and that includes it changing to black & white.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoShade View Post
    If you mean HEX shouldn't turn cards sideways because WoTC has an overly broad patent claiming it as their invention, don't bother. They invented any means of indicating that a card has been spent for the turn under the broad definition of tapping, and that includes it changing to black & white.
    Partly yes. But I just thought with a game being digitally exclusive, something like is an area where it has a potential to be innovative or readily different.
    Once an observer then Pro Tier, and now Grand King Tier.

Previous TCG Experience: Eye of Judgment, Magic the Gathering, Carte, Shadow Era, Yu Gi Oh, Ascension, Infinity Wars
    Currently Playing: HEX, Spellweaver
    Looking forward to: Warlords of Terra, Labyrinth

English Blog: Digital Card Gamers English
    日本語サイト: Digital Card Gamers Japanese
    HEX Search Engine
    Spellweaver Search Engine

Quote Originally Posted by YourOpponent View Post
    Creatures with summoning sickness can't use abilities that would require tapping the creature to use.
    But that's effectively the same as the creature being exhausted, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by MugenMusou View Post
    Partly yes. But I just thought with a game being digitally exclusive, something like is an area where it has a potential to be innovative or readily different.
    On one hand I get that they're trying to retain some of the aspects that people associate with physical card games whether it be fore nostalgic reasons or to ease the transition from physical card games to digital ones through familiarities. On the other hand though, there really as some things that could easily be handled differently since this game isn't bound by the same confines that a physical card game is, and maybe it would be better for the game to go a different route.

I posted similar sentiments in one of the the WotC lawsuit threads, basically suggesting they do whatever they can to differentiate themselves from that other game in ways that don't affect the core gameplay. So I get where you're coming from.