Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with losing streaks?

How do you deal with losing streaks?

So I just came off a frustrating day of being eliminated in first round in drafts multiple times in a row and am wondering how everyone else deals with losing streaks - especially when you know the reasons are completely out of your control.

Everything that could go wrong, went wrong (from misplays, having an advantage and watching it evaporate over a significant amount of turns due to poor draws with decent decks and very lucky opponents, and resource screws such as drought and flood, and more) and I just feel like venting at the moment.

For me, I plan to just go lie in bed and watch some videos and/or do some reading to calm down and probably chat with some friends, heh.

How do you guys deal with just awful luck?

You just have to chart your results and console yourself with a (hopefully) positive outcome over time. Even the best draft deck is going to lose a good percentage of the time. The very best drafters in other TCG games have maybe a 60-65% win percentage.

Also, for now - 5000G!!! More WOF spins!!!
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Kami, you were my toughest opponent in the draft. Sometimes you just get a tough break and go against someone that is setup to win. I've had a bad streak today as well before that last tourney.

I think the trick is to pick outside of your comfort zone, and try new things. Nothing was wrong with your deck at all.

when i loose in first round, it's because i draft very bad or i under-rate shard fixer, or test ^^. but i loose only 5/6 draft first round on mb 30, however rule n1 never say luck / unluck .

Step 1) Eat a 14oz Steak with potatoes
    Step 2) Relax with alcohol (if 21+) or boxed juice (if younger)
    Step 3) Return to hex and try again
    Hex is a MMO-TCG
    *** There is 3 very important letters in this game's genre.
    Hex - Collector Tier Kickstarter Backer
    In-Game name: Ashmander

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    How do you guys deal with just awful luck?
    - Be happy I just picked up some cards and 5000 Gold
    - Kick the AI until I roundly defeat it with some insane combo.
    - Hang out in chat
    - Kick the AI some more
    - Go read some comics
    - Get some sleep

Something like that
    Amatyr, Grand King + Collector

Master Theorycrafter
    Jump in queue for the next draft and get more cards.

Also, if you go into draft with too heavy a focus on victory, you are setting yourself up for rage. I view drafting as collection building event. I rare draft good rares, always, and I usually walk out with more than 3 packs worth of rares (i.e. 4). So if I win, awesome! More packs! But if I put together some serious rubbish and get trounced round 1, I just take a look at my sweet rares and queue up for another.

Dang my deck sucked! Oh, but I got a Legionnaire of Gawaine, two Incantations, and a flying squid thing, all of which will be awesome when I start playing constructed. After all, once you have all the cards in Set 1, I don't see much point in playing Limited until Set 2. Might as well migrate to constructed at that point because you don't need any more cards.

I'd start locking threads created by the people that beat me ;p
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    - Dinner & Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by HyenaNipples View Post
    After all, once you have all the cards in Set 1, I don't see much point in playing Limited until Set 2. Might as well migrate to constructed at that point because you don't need any more cards.
    I'm doing it wrong then!

I just like the process. And forcing myself to try all of the archetypes. History tells me that great constructed decks come from being forced to use cards in new and unexpected ways in limited. Sometimes you find an interaction that you'd never thought of and away you go...
    Hex: Shards of Fate KS || Producer

"The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
    "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
    "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by hex_colin View Post
    I'm doing it wrong then!
    I couldn't handle being a Producer! I love the collecting process, knowing that each draft selection is a card I'll now own forever. It's thrilling to pick up new ones.

But to each their own! If I were in your shoes, Colin, I would ask if I could trade in my 4x of every copy of every card for unlimited draft tickets (assuming you dont already have that!). Owning all the cards would kill me! It's like loading in your new video game and all the achievements unlock automatically.