Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: A bit of feedback for Cory and the team

  1. #1

    A bit of feedback for Cory and the team

    Don't worry! You probably opened this up expecting some whining of some sort about how things aren't fair or X needs changed. Nope, I'm just going to talk about what I like and what I don't (and in the process talk a bit about other similar games).

    A very brief history of me. I began playing magic long ago in the dark times known as the 90s. Ever since I've been an enthusiastic TCG player. I've never had the time or inclination to play at a very high level but when I have competed in a variety of games I've generally been pretty successful (more in legacy than limited for magic). Most of my magic experience is in legacy and limited. I currently primarily play Hex and Solforge with a bit of dabbling in Hearthstone.

    So let's talk about the good stuff first.

    I love collecting. There is some itch deep within me that just loves to complete sets. I don't need every alternate art or extended art or whatever, but I want to have access to a playset of every card. In some games this itch leads to a point of frustration. In solforge for example I have essentially a playset of every current card due to tournament winnings. However, it feels a bit empty because frankly those cards are never going to have any value. The game throws so much free stuff at you that even the best cards aren't ever going to be worth much more than a dollar (if that). So it feels like all my work in collecting playsets has essentially amounted to worthless 1's and 0's. Hex doesn't seem to suffer from this. It feels like (realistically or not) cards have real value. I very much appreciate that fact.

    When the servers are working correctly the game is reasonably smooth and enjoyable (at least for me). There was a period of about two days recently where for whatever reason passing priority was taking way too long (and I actually lost 2 games due to time because of this). However, apparently there some some stuck process on the server which has now been resolved and I haven't had problems since.

    I LOVE the chests. I don't know what's in those things. It could be anything, even a boat! But rolling chests and I'm sure opening chests eventually is a blast. Frankly my favorite part of drafting is going to my stash later and finding what new chests I got.

    The deckbuilder is actually pretty good at the moment. I really don't have any problems sorting through my stuff and finding what I want.

    Drafts fire pretty frequently which is nice.

    There seem to be a good variety of viable strats in draft.

    Alright, now on to the bad stuff. Some of this we know is already going to be addressed but I'm going to mention it anyway.

    Waiting for matches to complete during draft is agonizing. We need to be able to do something during that time (PvE). It's already been mentioned that's on the way but for now I still hate sitting there doing nothing.

    The interface in general (by which I mean the out of game client) could really use some improvements. The chat is pretty awful. Sliders (The bars on the right of frames which allow vertical navigation) are almost entirely useless (at least for me).

    I disagree with having a purely random shuffler. I believe the shuffler should weakly push resources away from each other so players aren't drawing long strings of either resources or non-resources.

    There are a variety of display bugs that need resolved (invisible cards, duplicating inventories etc.)

    Obviously a lot of people (myself included) are anxious for PvE.

    I guess the AI is pretty buggy atm? (I don't really play against the AI so I'm not sure but that's what I heard).

    Nothing BUT drafts seem to fire very frequently. :P

    Development doesn't seem nearly as fast as it was pre-beta. Maybe that's just a perception thing or something but it seemed like in alpha improvements were being made at least every other week and now it just doesn't seem as rapid. Given delays to this point slowing down even more is a bit disheartening.

    Alright! So that's my opinion. Overall I'm certainly enjoying the game so please don't think I'm dissatisfied. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at gencon again (and the earlier you announce whatever event you're doing the earlier I can work it into my plans).

    Best Regards,
    Refugee

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    I love collecting. There is some itch deep within me that just loves to complete sets. I don't need every alternate art or extended art or whatever, but I want to have access to a playset of every card. In some games this itch leads to a point of frustration. In solforge for example I have essentially a playset of every current card due to tournament winnings. However, it feels a bit empty because frankly those cards are never going to have any value. The game throws so much free stuff at you that even the best cards aren't ever going to be worth much more than a dollar (if that). So it feels like all my work in collecting playsets has essentially amounted to worthless 1's and 0's. Hex doesn't seem to suffer from this. It feels like (realistically or not) cards have real value. I very much appreciate that fact.
    I was worried about cards not having value as well with how much they seem to give out... but given that I have about 3500 cards currently (and have done my share of drafting rares) and I'm not even close to a complete playset, I don't think that's going to be an issue. Not to mention alternate art cards, mercenaries, sleeves, and other random things you can get from the wheels of fate (I've spun that a lot and I'm still missing a ton there too).

    I LOVE the chests. I don't know what's in those things. It could be anything, even a boat! But rolling chests and I'm sure opening chests eventually is a blast. Frankly my favorite part of drafting is going to my stash later and finding what new chests I got.
    Agreed. I really love rolling chests. It's exciting.

    Waiting for matches to complete during draft is agonizing. We need to be able to do something during that time (PvE). It's already been mentioned that's on the way but for now I still hate sitting there doing nothing.

    There are a variety of display bugs that need resolved (invisible cards, duplicating inventories etc.)

    Obviously a lot of people (myself included) are anxious for PvE.

    I guess the AI is pretty buggy atm? (I don't really play against the AI so I'm not sure but that's what I heard).

    The interface in general (by which I mean the out of game client) could really use some improvements. The chat is pretty awful. Sliders (The bars on the right of frames which allow vertical navigation) are almost entirely useless (at least for me).
    This stuff mostly just boils down to "it's beta". Things will improve over time. Also, the AI is essentially a placeholder AI from what I understand. The "real AI" is coming with PvE.

    Nothing BUT drafts seem to fire very frequently. :P
    Drafts are definitely the most popular format in general. Constructed hasn't taken off due to lack of trading. Everything will fire more frequently when we're out of closed beta since there's a limited pool of players that isn't really getting much larger until they open the doors.

    Development doesn't seem nearly as fast as it was pre-beta. Maybe that's just a perception thing or something but it seemed like in alpha improvements were being made at least every other week and now it just doesn't seem as rapid. Given delays to this point slowing down even more is a bit disheartening.
    That's because pre-beta they were still implementing new cards to finish off set 1. They could release 2-5 cards a week and that feels like fast progress is being made, despite those being fairly simple things (relatively) to implement. The things they are working on now are massive changes to the game (AH/trading, PvE, etc). Development time on those is MUCH longer. Now, they likely have a lot of these things fairly far along internally, but they can't release them until they are fully ready. Which brings me to the final point... in Alpha it was possible to release smaller, incremental updates with various bugs because nothing was for keeps... but since we're in beta they need to go through a lot more testing to make sure there aren't any serious issues that would mess up collections, break things like drafts, etc.

  3. #3
    I disagree with having a purely random shuffler. I believe the shuffler should weakly push resources away from each other so players aren't drawing long strings of either resources or non-resources.
    Disagree.

    I guess the AI is pretty buggy atm? (I don't really play against the AI so I'm not sure but that's what I heard).
    It broke during Beta. I cannot express how sad this made me.

    Development doesn't seem nearly as fast as it was pre-beta. Maybe that's just a perception thing or something but it seemed like in alpha improvements were being made at least every other week and now it just doesn't seem as rapid. Given delays to this point slowing down even more is a bit disheartening.
    This is because new cards were being pushed weekly. If you look at just the core features, there were actually months in between most of them. UI improvements came fairly sporadically. The big issue is we aren't getting as many bugfix patches, but the upside to that is that there are not many bugs left to squish (very few that require immediate attention.)


    Those are my small comments, otherwise I approve of and agree with pretty much all of what you have said.
    Xenavire, proud guild leader for The Lions Share.
    http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...erlinsmall.png

  4. #4
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    I disagree with having a purely random shuffler. I believe the shuffler should weakly push resources away from each other so players aren't drawing long strings of either resources or non-resources.
    Perhaps you'd support this:
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=36100

  5. #5
    Pretty much agree with you on every point Refugee.
    Not quite sure yet of what to make of the shuffler, but I can say I've never sensed the same frustration with screw or flood in ANY other game, and need to spend more time thinking about this than anything else when designing a deck. Which feels forced and is not fun.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
    Pretty much agree with you on every point Refugee.
    Not quite sure yet of what to make of the shuffler, but I can say I've never sensed the same frustration with screw or flood in ANY other game, and need to spend more time thinking about this than anything else when designing a deck. Which feels forced and is not fun.
    Yea, I avoided really saying anything about the shuffler except supporting the fact that it is purely random. However, even with erring on the side of that-one-more resources as apposed to MTG, I seem to experience some sort of manascrew >33% of the time; combined with my opponent's manascrew potential, it seems like it can get up to 50% of games being affected by screw.

    Again, these are all perceptions from an admittedly non-representative sample, but I'm not arguing the true randomness of the shuffler, I'm just referring to the perception that screw is more prevalent in this game. I didn't play MTGO much at all, but I wonder if it had some slight weaving in it, or if it was purely random as well...
    1x GK Keep - Dekroma

  7. #7
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    I would guess that MTGO is pure random since they're trying to mimic paper games (or at least what paper game shuffles would be in an ideal world, oops).

  8. #8
    Devoted Emissary
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    Waiting for matches to complete during draft is agonizing. We need to be able to do something during that time (PvE). It's already been mentioned that's on the way but for now I still hate sitting there doing nothing.
    The way I took this point is that your getting eliminated in Draft and sitting there on the ladderboard screen staring at the rankings.

    Just so your aware, and maybe others aren't aware either. If you click 'Forfeit' you can go and do whatever you would like, you will still get all your goodies you have acquired in that one tournament. You can even sign up to another draft and play in it. You will get all your gear once the initial draft is fully complete, no matter what. Plus you will get a message in your inbox.

  9. #9
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokz View Post
    The way I took this point is that your getting eliminated in Draft and sitting there on the ladderboard screen staring at the rankings.

    Just so your aware, and maybe others aren't aware either. If you click 'Forfeit' you can go and do whatever you would like, you will still get all your goodies you have acquired in that one tournament. You can even sign up to another draft and play in it. You will get all your gear once the initial draft is fully complete, no matter what. Plus you will get a message in your inbox.
    I took it as what I have often: finish my match in 10 minutes, then sit around for 40 minutes waiting for my next round.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by knightofeffect View Post
    I seem to experience some sort of manascrew >33% of the time; combined with my opponent's manascrew potential, it seems like it can get up to 50% of games being affected by screw.
    Not to be a broken record, this game does not have mana. Let's try and reinforce proper game terminology. It is an important aspect of building a solid community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •