Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the actual...

What the actual...

So i bought some boosters and did my very first ever Swiss Draft tournament.

Won my first match up pretty quickly...

In the second match i lost the first round, won the second round, and had 59 SECONDS left to do the third round because the 2nd round took so long for me to win. So i lost because of time.

In the final match i lost the first round, won the second round, and had 6 minutes left to finish the 3rd round. I got my opponent to 8 hp we both had no creatures or cards and i was at 26 hp. I drew a corpse fly which would have ended it in 4 turns but I ran outa time and LOST. I lost a 26 hp to 8 hp match cuz of the stupid timer?

There needs to be a new system in place for timing matches...having all 3 rounds share a timer is beyond stupid. It means you gotta rush as fast as possible and for newer players that is not right at all.

Here is a screenshot of the problem, and sorry for ranting but i see something terribly wrong with this.

PS: I understand having a timer so the matches dont last hours...but why not just time each round seperately? I feel like i got screwed out of at least 1 match that i would have won...

draft tournament.jpg

so your suggestion is for each round to give a player 10 minutes? think about that for a minute and think how many more complaining would come from that

So, you want each round to potentially last for 3 hours, so 1 tournament to last 9 hours? Or, am I missing something?
    No, you lost a 26hp to 8hp match because you didn't watch your timer properly for the first 2 rounds.

In your very first draft you lost two rounds because you ran out of time. This was your first draft ever, it is pretty natural that you were playing slow. Either analysis paralysis is getting the best of you or you're playing way too safe, regardless the more you play the faster you'll get.

I hate to say it, because this probably will come off sounding rude (I really don't mean it to) this is a YOU issue rather than a GAME issue.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!

Quote Originally Posted by funktion View Post
    In your very first draft you lost two rounds because you ran out of time. This was your first draft ever, it is pretty natural that you were playing slow. Either analysis paralysis is getting the best of you or you're playing way too safe, regardless the more you play the faster you'll get.

I hate to say it, because this probably will come off sounding rude (I really don't mean it to) this is a YOU issue rather than a GAME issue.
    I understand this but i dont think newer players should get penalized just because of time... and to the other people who replied...no i dont think rounds should only be 10 minutes, and no i dont think they should last 3 hours. I figured 15 minutes per round would be more fair. That way each round actually had a set time instead of just running out int he 3rd because 1 round lasted long.

It's just frustrating knowing i would have won at least 2 out of 3 matches i got screwed out of it

I understand why they did it, i just think having round time limits or even turn time limits would be better then "match" time limits. But i guess lol

Gigantisaur
    agreed. clock management is part of the game. a match can come down to mere seconds and it's up to you to manage your clock the best you can. experience will help you with this. your 2nd draft may see similar results, but the longer you play, the less you will fall victim to timing out.
    Hextcg Pro Tier

I for one like that I can take 7-8 minutes game 1 and know I have a solid 22 to win 1 more game. I've won because of timer and lost because of timer but I know each time I do lose to it that it was because of my playing. An arbitrary 15minutes a match, what happens when its 26hp to 8hp and you lose to time in the proposed 15minute match game? Do we make it 20? Then 25? etc.

While we are talking about it, I just want to clarify here that at least in the picture you've linked (with the arrows from life totals), you're pretty far from winning. To keep things totally realistic, you're not even ahead really in the picture you linked. Drafts honestly can't afford to take much longer than they currently do and what you're suggesting is adding 30 minutes onto each match.

Make an active effort to play faster, you'll not only stop losing to stuff like this but you're also more likely to improve your level of play.
    Visit Youtube: FunktionFails & Twitch: FunktionFails for hex based videos, articles and more.
    Find me on twitter @FunktionFails

Less fail, more funktion!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfyre View Post
    I understand this but i dont think newer players should get penalized just because of time... and to the other people who replied...no i dont think rounds should only be 10 minutes, and no i dont think they should last 3 hours. I figured 15 minutes per round would be more fair. That way each round actually had a set time instead of just running out int he 3rd because 1 round lasted long.
    Your champion's health is a resource that you are responsible for. As is your deck size against a mill deck, and your shard balance, and your timer in a tournament.

If instead you had lost to direct damage, would you request that new players get a handicap of more HP?
    I have no doubt that you'll encounter fewer timer losses as your skill level improves. Just keep at it.