Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You could always reward people based on attendance and not participation? That way people will show up whether or not the tournament successfully concludes.

And I still think it's best to reward people with sleeves or mercenaries and for the rewards not to be exclusive to one event but more a testing season. Like right now it should be "Frost Ring Arena Season". And maybe reward sleeves with Hogarth on them or something.
    Last edited by OutlandishMatt; 02-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.

I participated in both the large scale tests last year, so my expectations were to play this one if able but not be disappointed if it didn't fire. In both of the previous tests, we were informed pretty quickly that the tourneys were dead. Less info this time makes sense given the problems with chat and the broadcast tool. Even without feedback, the first big tourney was obviously broken so I quit out after a half hour or so. I'm happy it was useful on the coding end as well learning something regarding player expectations.

Updated the second post to reflect rewards pay-out and time the items will be inserted into accounts: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthr...l=1#post458915

Update: We've been able to come to a final decision on the rewards for the Large-Scale Tournament Test. Please be aware that this only reflects the large-scale tournament and not Arena testing at large.

We will be inserting the rewards into accounts today at 5:30 Pacific (Worldclock). This will be automated and you will not receive an in-game mail when the item is inserted.

• For players who tried logging in between 8AM and 12PM Pacific, but were not able to get past the loading screen or join a tournament, or joined the largest tournament, will receive 1 free Constructed Queue Entry Ticket.
    • For players who joined the second and/or third tournaments will receive prizes based on the following pay-outs here: https://hextcg.com/arena-test-server-its-back/
    • 4 Wins – 10 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      3 Wins – 6 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      2 Wins – 3 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      1 Win – 2 Shattered Destiny booster packs
      0 Wins – 1 Shattered Destiny booster pack

If you participated in both second and third tournaments, your rewards will stack. EXAMPLE: If you won once in the first tournament and won twice in the second tournament, you will be receiving the following rewards: 2 (two) free Constructed Queue Entry Tickets and 5 (five) Shattered Destiny booster packs.

For those of you who just participated in the second and third tournaments and did not win, you will still receive the base prizes for each. 2 (two) free Constructed Queue Entry Tickets and 2 (two) Shattered Destiny booster packs.
    -Phenteo, Former Community Manager and Egg Giver
    Twitter: @CM_Phenteo | @HEXTCG

"It's polite to say thank you when someone gives you a gift, human." -Phenteo

Quote Originally Posted by Raith View Post
    I participated in both the large scale tests last year, so my expectations were to play this one if able but not be disappointed if it didn't fire. In both of the previous tests, we were informed pretty quickly that the tourneys were dead. Less info this time makes sense given the problems with chat and the broadcast tool. Even without feedback, the first big tourney was obviously broken so I quit out after a half hour or so. I'm happy it was useful on the coding end as well learning something regarding player expectations.
    I'm fine with everything, until they fire off secret tournaments that award prizes while others can't even get logged in. It's one thing to have a tournament that doesn't fire and everyone gets rewarded the same prize but it's another to not have it fire, start two secret tournaments and award prizes based on that.

What I think should have probably happened is a tweet and a forum post should have informed everyone that the first tournament failed and then they should have launched new, 128 player sealed tournaments for testing. Instead, they fired off two secret tournaments, alienating at LEAST 300 players and causing a 22 page forum thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenteo View Post
    I also wanted to take some time to clarify a few things over the weekends as it seems expectations were off.
    Agreed, some expectations as to playability and general stability of a test server might have been off. However, the crew at Hex Entertainment is also often overly-enthusiastic when they start announcing things and promising things, and that is partly responsible in us having wrong expectations.

Let's see just one very simple expectation that was set at https://hextcg.com/arena-test-server-its-back/

Prizes will be distributed to your live accounts at 5 PM Pacific on Monday, February 16th.
    That seems very simple. However, it turns out that Feb 16th is a day off at Hex Entertainment, so there was no way to honor this once again very simple expectation. Hex Ent. is delivering this simple thing one day late, not because of technical glitches or tournaments crashing, but because they are overly enthusiastic and promise things they would have known they can't deliver if they only would have given it some thought. I don't like being cynical, and I bet most people don't like it either. However, how can we believe any date or timeframe that is given to us when stuff like this happens?

Cory telling us about his dream and what Hex will be one day is ok, that's what visionaries do, and he has the sense to keep targets vague (e.g. VERY SOON!). I would however expect the crew that deals with the day to day operations to have better foresight and be more careful when providing hard dates.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlandishMatt View Post
    What I think should have probably happened is a tweet and a forum post should have informed everyone that the first tournament failed and then they should have launched new, 128 player sealed tournaments for testing. Instead, they fired off two secret tournaments, alienating at LEAST 300 players and causing a 22 page forum thread.
    At the same time they wanted to get the tests to go through due to time restrictions, therefore they launched a second tournament which launched relatively quickly and received a little over 30 players. I was specifically told not to advertise this tournament (nor the next) because they wanted a lower attendance. Meanwhile, we still didn't get any information back as to whether players in the first tournament should leave or not. The 30-man tournament ran as expected but wasn't enough people and they wanted to open a third tournament. This was also a tournament they didn't want advertise to try to lower attendance but larger than 30 people.

Quote Originally Posted by schnaffman View Post
    However, it turns out that Feb 16th is a day off at Hex Entertainment, so there was no way to honor this once again very simple expectation. .
    We actually were going to insert prizes on that day (regardless of the holiday). The issue was is that it required more work to reward any issues (login issues, multiple tournaments, and large tournament crash) that happened from what originally was expected. Because of this, we had to delay until today.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Devoted Emissary
    I don't mind getting just a ticket, I'm not even expecting something in return as I like to support you guys in testing, but I think you're going to alienate a lot of people by giving the rewards to second and third tournaments when they were almost secret. Just wanted to point that before lots of people come in complaining that they don't even get a single pack for joining tournament one.
    Champion of the Black Flame #227

At the same time they wanted to get the tests to go through due to time restrictions, therefore they launched a second tournament which launched relatively quickly and received a little over 30 players. I was specifically told not to advertise this tournament (nor the next) because they wanted a lower attendance. Meanwhile, we still didn't get any information back as to whether players in the first tournament should leave or not. The 30-man tournament ran as expected but wasn't enough people and they wanted to open a third tournament. This was also a tournament they didn't want advertise to try to lower attendance but larger than 30 people. The third tournament got up to 110 people and the tournament concluded later as normal. Around this time, it was determined that players from the first tournament weren't going to get to play as the test server wasn't going to recover. And that is when Roostasaur posted followed up by a post from me.
    I understand what your engineers wanted, but I don't think that makes it right for the player base. I think the engineers and anyone else that is involved with testing needs to understand that we (your customers) set aside time to test your game and help you make leaps and bounds beyond your time frame by doing that and we need to stay informed while we do that. You also need to not exclude your player base, especially when prizes are being distributed.

I would suggest that the next time the engineers want that data they coordinate with FiveShards.com or HexTechs.tv and have them run a community tournament on the test server. If it crashes then oh well and that site can reschedule and run it on the live server. If it succeeds then the engineers get lots and lots of data!

I think you have a plethora of testers that will test for you without compensation just knowing they're making a difference and helping the game advance, look at all the fansites you have! Heck, make a private test server for the top 200 players based on connection time. I wouldn't make that cut but I'm happy with the most dedicated players getting the first look and testing bugs.
    Last edited by OutlandishMatt; 02-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parogui View Post
    I don't mind getting just a ticket, I'm not even expecting something in return as I like to support you guys in testing, but I think you're going to alienate a lot of people by giving the rewards to second and third tournaments when they were almost secret. Just wanted to point that before lots of people come in complaining that they don't even get a single pack for joining tournament one.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by parogui View Post
    If you just joined one tournament, you do get a booster pack as well.