Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Information CZE needs to share with us, soonish

Information CZE needs to share with us, soonish

We're approaching a major milestone for Hex. Not only is the third set about to release, but limited play will no longer be available for the first two sets. This has never before happened in the history of Hex and what the exact policies are surrounding this have been confusing to some and upsetting to others.

There are a number of issues that there are no clear or easily found answer on. There is a lot of conjecture about how it might be, how it should be, how it shouldn't be, but CZE has been largely silent on the following points:

Will every block have two sets?
    When will sets rotate out of constructed play and will they be leaving a block at a time or a set at a time?
    When will blocks go out of print?
    Will entire blocks go out of print or will it be one set at a time?
    Will cards be reprinted in future sets?
    Will there be cards that will never be reprinted in future sets?
    If there are cards that will never be reprinted, when or will we be told what they are?
    Are there plans to release cards that are functionally identical to previously released cards, but different in name only?
    Is there no limit to the number of boosters CZE can issue through prizes/promotions of an out of print set or will there be a set # of packs that CZE "holds" in reserve that once they're gone, that's it, no more packs of the set will ever be issued?
    Will equipment go out of print?

I wrote the above points non-stop without pause, so these are just issues off the top of my head. There are many others, no doubt.

If CZE's answer for some or all of these points is either "Has not been decided" or "We haven't given it much thought" I'm 100% okay with that. As has been posted often in the last weeks by many different people, there is an impression that these answers are known, but not being shared. My personal belief is that every policy is subject to change at this point and final decisions haven't been made on most of these issues. If so, please tell us that, we can handle it.

If this were just a purely F2P game, I wouldn't especially care about most or possibly any of the answers. I also probably wouldn't be playing this. When there's a game like Hex that really has no real limit on the amount of money a player can spend, the answers to these questions are critical and are something the community would be best served by getting the information sooner rather than later.

Maybe the best way to address these points, after things wind down post-convention, is to post them in a weekly update along with the rationale behind whatever the policy is?

Thanks for reading.

I think the majority of your questions have somewhat of a answer, problem is the game is still young, there will be changes and there is not a databse to easily look up the answers.

My understanding is that sets will no longer be sold at some point, we dont know when, but will be given ample warning. There will be reprints.

These are the answers I have off the top of my head

No. I believe they currently plan on two sets each for Block 1 & 2, then moving to 3 set blocks. But that may change.

When will sets rotate out of constructed play and will they be leaving a block at a time or a set at a time?
    The whole block rotates out.

Three blocks will be in print at any time. When Block 4 begins, Block 1 will go out of print.

The entire block.

I don't believe we have any information on this.

If there are cards that will never be reprinted, when or will we be told what they are?

Are there plans to release cards that are functionally identical to previously released cards, but different in name only?

Is there no limit to the number of boosters CZE can issue through prizes/promotions of an out of print set or will there be a set # of packs that CZE "holds" in reserve that once they're gone, that's it, no more packs of the set will ever be issued?
    Shoot, Cory said something about this on his last 2 Turns Ahead interview (I believe episode 50), but I cannot recall.

Equipment is in chests, chests come from packs. When the pack goes out of print, the equipment goes out of print. I do not believe CZE has announced how loot table rotation from PvE will work in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    No, the plan is to move to 3 sets per block after block 2 (so starting with set 5). Plans, as always, can change prior to finalization and release.

TBD. CZE hasn't determined the exact number of sets that will be in print at a time yet (at least, not publicly). Cards will rotate out an entire block at a time, however.

Note: expect there to eventually be at least 3 tournament formats: legacy (everything), modern (last X blocks), and standard/limited (current block only, probably only for draft/sealed?)

Once we have enough sets for there to be an actual rotation of tournament standard blocks, a block will go out of print in the store when it phases out of legal tournament play.

It would be a full block, not just a set.

Cory said at one point they would most likely reprint staple cards in future sets, or come up with something else for the digital age, like a "core" set that is always in print, containing staple cards any player would want, from multiple sets. Exact details of this are still TBD, at least publicly.

We have no way to know this at this point. Probably CZE doesn't even know this yet.

TBD

God I hope not. We don't need 18 different Grizzly Bears.

I'm sure Chark will be very careful about this kind of thing. Don't expect to see very much out of print content showing up. I'm sure there will be some small amount of reserved material for special giveaways or contests or celebrations, but it will be a rare occurrence.

It can't really go out of print, because you can't buy it. Loot tables for dungeons will be modified over time though, so stuff that drops in the PVE campaign that is tied to a specific PVP set may get harder or impossible to get eventually, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe there will be a dungeon of the lost (Junkyard Dogs, anyone?) where equipment from out of print sets is much higher on the loot table, so you always have a place to go to try to find abandoned equipment for those older cards.
    --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

There are a number of issues that there are no clear or easily found answer on. There is a lot of conjecture about how it might be, how it should be, how it shouldn't be, but CZE has been largely silent on the following points:

I don't have all the links and information on hand right now, but it's mostly out there somewhere. Some of those questions have been asked and answered by Cory in interviews which are posted online somewhere. You can start by listening to an interview with Cory on the 2 Turns Ahead podcast here: http://2turnsahead.com/episode-50-co...th-cory-jones/ . Here's the answers that have been given over time.

Q. Will every block have two sets?
    A. No. Only the first 2 blocks will have two sets. Block 1 is set 1-2. Block 2 is set 3-4. Block 3 is set 5-6-7. Every block after that will be 3 sets.

Q. When will sets rotate out of constructed play and will they be leaving a block at a time or a set at a time?
    A. Same as for other similar TCGs. The current block and the previous block will be constructed legal. When Block 3 (set 5) comes out, Block 1 (set 1-2) will rotate out of constructed play and no longer be constructed legal.

Q. When will blocks go out of print?
    A. No definitive answer on this one, but blocks will go out of print, quite possibly soon after they're no longer constructed legal (see above).

Q. Will entire blocks go out of print or will it be one set at a time?
    A. Undetermined. (My own speculation is that it would be entire block at once, since the whole block stops being constructed legal at the same time).

Q. Will cards be reprinted in future sets?
    A. Yes.

Q. Will there be cards that will never be reprinted in future sets?
    A. Yes.

Q. If there are cards that will never be reprinted, when or will we be told what they are?
    A. Probably never. They can't predict the future. Get your playsets today.

Q. Are there plans to release cards that are functionally identical to previously released cards, but different in name only?
    A. Undetermined.

Q. Is there no limit to the number of boosters CZE can issue through prizes/promotions of an out of print set or will there be a set # of packs that CZE "holds" in reserve that once they're gone, that's it, no more packs of the set will ever be issued?
    A. Right before a set/block goes out of print, HexEnt will "print" a finite number of packs for their own promo stash. Once the block goes out of print, no more packs will get printed ever, even for their promos needs. Cory is adamant about the need to preserve the value of a collection, and artificially printing older sets in the future would devalue collections.

Q. Will equipment go out of print?
    A. I actually asked that question to Cory personally, and he masterfully avoided to give a specific answer, probably because it's not yet determined. Here's his answer:

You have actually hit upon a pretty big challenge for us, how to balance PVE and PVP in terms of loot drops and set / block rotation, we are currently working on ideas and will talk about it at length as we start to give insight in to the larger PVE plan (and its HUGE)

its funny, it does not seem like a big deal, but some of the challenges of the game (like this) are the devil in the details that really make it complex to balance everything.

Bombs, ossuary, and Fred I appreciate you going point by point through my post and taking the time to answer -- I was kind of expecting trolling/flames right out of the box because that's how it often seems to go here.

However, the three of you have illustrated why CZE needs to publicly address these issues, because each of you gave different answers to some of the questions. AFAIK, this information isn't centrally located, in official form, anywhere. Look at the people who feel burned because Fate block isn't going to be available for limited any more. CZE has already given out hundreds of thousands of $$'s in free product to mitigate various issues and I've no doubt they'll be giving out much more than that in the future, but it will be hard to make everyone happy (collector's, F2P'ers, PVP'ers, PVE'ers, etc.) if people are caught flat-footed when expectations don't meet the reality of policy.

I just want to reiterate that following the convention in early August, CZE should make answering these questions somewhat of a priority.

Not to troll but alot of the questions you are asking would not take place until years from now. Also, the game is in its infancy and how pvp blocks, etc. work is subject to change.

PVP is important to this game, but after set 3 the focus will be on pve. Thereafter, hex can worry some more on what the next 3 years looks like for pvp.
    Last edited by plaguedealer; 07-16-2015 at 07:56 AM.

You're absolutely right and I don't consider your response trolling. It's also my belief that these issues are undecided, in large part. If that's so, then we as a community have the ability to help shape what the policy actually will be. With Fate block leaving limited play, it really caught my attention how many people had no idea that was going to happen. And then there's always the issue that we don't know what we don't know.

I'm not enough of an investor that I'm too concerned about the long term implications of reprints and secondary market value, but with a game that is designed to have open-ended spending on product, I'm sure some are concerned much more than I am.

In my opinion the community should have some say of what pvp will look like after pve is implemented. If hex makes a ton of money through pve, they need to decide how that will affect their plans in the future. I am not saying pvp should be abandoned.

I would think reprints, set rotations will be similar to magic. However, I want hex to make all this determination after pve comes out.

For people who know about this sort of thing: do card prices go up or down when sets go out of print and stop being used for constructed?