Thread: My Hex Weekend and AoM First Look (long post warning)

My Hex Weekend and AoM First Look (long post warning)

My goal going into the weekend was to play in 4 events to obtain 4 Brightmoon Brave for participating. I'm a fairly middle-of-the-road player and simply don't have a prayer (generally) to obtaining the winning AA card (the "Duke")!

Friday night I thought that I would join a Gauntlet first to get a feel for the format and check out the cards and champions without any time pressure. My pool seemed poor, but I couldn't really judge it and I am sure I didn't build it correctly. I did still feel hopeful to win some packs though!

I promptly get schooled in 3 straight games. However, I felt like I learned a lot there. The reversion champion with diamond seemed, well, really awesome! The champion that was even more crazy to me was the "die and create a phantom" champion. BOOM!

Since the VIP was changed to sealed, I planned my Saturday to play in the 1pm tournament instead of the scheduled sealed. This time, my pool seemed okay, but I was feeling pretty down and certainly hadn't figured out the format at all. I was wishing for a strategy site where I could pour over articles on the subject (are there such sites?).

I lost my first 2 games in round 1 and was feeling even more bummed. "Ah well, another Brightmoon Brave at least!" If you're following along at home, this is 5 losses in a row with zero wins. Not good.

However, at that point, things changed. I proceeded to win the next game and match (my opponent was late and lost game 1). Onto round 3...where I won again 2-1 I believe. At this point, I realize that I am playing for a Duke in the final round! NO WAY! And I pull out the win. I'm really amazed and just pumped up! I felt like I really learned some good things. The phantom creator was pretty darn sweet. Kind of a 2-for-1 where I would then get a flying body. Good times.

Event 3 that evening I decided to do Gauntlet #2. This pool had me seriously thinking spiders as a control deck. However, I continue to be taken with Blood/Diamond. The shifty guys are so...fun! So, I go down that road. The deck seems decent enough with good troops and tricks. However, I end the evening sitting at 1-2 and re-make the deck into Spiders for the next time.

Sunday afternoon, I play in a draft (Event 4). I first pick a Vampire Kiss and second pick the Shin'hare that flies and grows with troops that die. A solid start. Then, it seems that blood dries up quickly, but ruby (and diamond) is looking good. I jump into ruby but end up with more diamond than anything. I choose the champion that increases a troop's power. One more quick item, I swear I was the only person in diamond. Seems like I picked my two 3/2 flyers fairly late and was surprised. Round 1 I wrecked my opponent 2-0. I'm quite pleased and surprised. Pretty much any time I make it to round 2 in a draft, I feel like I've done well. Shoot, 2 more packs!!! Round 2 I play against spiders and, whoa, that animation is AMAZING! However, I see that spiders (thinking of my Gauntlet deck) seems a bit like a trap. It isn't bad for sure, but it's tough I think. I still manage to win 2-0. I am in the RARE position of being in the finals. I think I have won 1 Hex draft in the last 5 months (when I activated my DC drafts). I win game 1 and I can tell my opponent's deck is quite good. He is playing ruby/wild ramp but has too many shards. He wins game 2 with too many fatties. So, it comes down to the final game for the Duke! It was a great match and all 3 games were close. My strategy was to do as much damage early rather than sit back like I typically might do. I pull out the win for my second Duke. I'm so surprised, but so darn happy!

Later that night, I go back to Gauntlet and decide to go ahead and play the control-spiders deck. I manage 2 wins in a row (including against another spider deck) before succumbing to my third loss. Mission accomplished and then some. I won a bunch of packs, 4 Brightmoon Braves, and 2 Duplicitous Dukes. Wow. Just wow.

Overall, I can't wait to build more decks. I want a good spider deck and decks that use Shift and Prophecy for my next Arena decks. I also see a good deck using sacrificing Shin'hare for good use! I need a lot more cards to make this possible though! The set seems fun and the new champions seem a bit more interesting with more possibilities. Some of the possibilities weren't immediately obvious, but when I saw them in play, just really fun!

tl;dr - Well done Hex team. Well done. I'm really amazed with this game!

the 2nd block seems sooo much better than the first, but that might just be because the 1st block includes the first set which is very basic. there is so much going on in armies, i think new players will love it. do new players get to pick the new starter decks or just the old? and old players, armies has me selling my older legendaries such as vamp king and angel of dawn to play in drafts and to buy some new rares on the AH to brew with. I didnt play much during the first 2 sets, because it felt a LITTLE bit too much just like normal magic, but armies has shown what you can do with an online card game compared to a physical one and its SO MUCH FUN.

overall, i can give this set a 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by frychikn View Post
    the 2nd block seems sooo much better than the first, but that might just be because the 1st block includes the first set which is very basic. there is so much going on in armies, i think new players will love it. do new players get to pick the new starter decks or just the old? and old players, armies has me selling my older legendaries such as vamp king and angel of dawn to play in drafts and to buy some new rares on the AH to brew with. I didnt play much during the first 2 sets, because it felt a LITTLE bit too much just like normal magic, but armies has shown what you can do with an online card game compared to a physical one and its SO MUCH FUN.

overall, i can give this set a 10/10.
    Honestly, Set 1 is still my favorite. Set 3 I'm undecided on at the moment. Everything feels like it's getting "bigger". In a Set 1 draft I could pick up a 2/3 buffalo and that was actually a decent troop that I could use to delay the game as my opponent couldn't always get out stuff with 3+ attack quickly. I'd almost never consider picking up a vanilla 2/3 now. It's way too easy to get tons of attack on a troop or larger troops. That combined with all the RNG in terms of prophecy and spiders... I dunno. At least there are more options for decks than Set 2 it seems. So many humans...

I thought this was going to be a complain-y type thread. Very happy you had a good experience OP! Congrats on your dukes and success.

Quote Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
    I thought this was going to be a complain-y type thread. Very happy you had a good experience OP! Congrats on your dukes and success.
    Know this Xexist, I tend to think complaining is counter-productive in life. Sure, there are legitimate complaints, but I try to make that circle of folks small in my life (I can certainly unload my frustrations on my wife sometimes and vice versa).

Online though, while it is "easy" to hide behind the screen, I like to be as real and legitimate as possible. I'll certainly post that something bums me out from time to time, but I know what the work world is like and how difficult it is to make a good product, etc.

And yeah, I'm wordy. HA!

i do have 1 thing i dislike about armies right now and that is that nahzk webguard isnt in draft. seems like a HUGE common for sapphire and vennen to have

Gigantisaur
    Awesome post, thanks for the write up.

I had a wonderful weekend when I was actually able to play, but alas I just didn't have much time.
    I missed out on a duke by one game, it was so tense and I was a little bummed, but the experience was well worth it.
    Unfortunately I only managed time for 2x drafts and 1x sealed, so I only have 3x Brightmoon at the moment.

My other sealed games were before the release celebration started. I have another I started this morning Australia-time, but I'm not sure I'll get to finish it after work and before the release is over. Does anyone know what time the release celebration officially ends given that times were extended yesterday due to the patch?