Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 122

Thread: A Message from Cory

  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    While I wouldn't say that it "fundamentally fails to support auctioning"
    Really? So you'll be posting cards without checking their value and making sure their starting prices are high enough then? If the AH supported auctioning then cards would sell around the market rate regardless of where you started them (assuming you started at/below market rate).


    The current system requires sellers to spend a lot of time working out prices as people simply won't bid seriously on anything they don't want to buyout until the last minute or so (if that). Seems fundamental to me
    While the UI could certainly make the pricing and listing easier it won't do anything to address the sniping incentives.
    Then there's a limited chance of actually selling anyway (even if you haven't misjudged the prices) and you have to do it all again.

    There are vast quantities* of items that people don't bother to put on AH because it's too much hassle for the chance of selling. This fundamentally distorts the pricing.
    * I don't know obviously but if people are anything like me the items listed represent less than 10% of the ones people would be happy to sell: I've got loads and barely even listed anything over the last couple of weeks.


    It may not be trivial to fix but it's certainly possible.
    Two fixing options I favour are:
    - start auction timer when there's a first bid (so I can list something less than every 2 days but still have an end time)
    - don't end any auction within X Minutes (/hours) of the last bid.
    - Automated bidding: so I at least have the option of bidding what I'm prepared to pay while retaining some chance of getting a good deal (I picked up the impression someone at HEX wanted to disallow this so AH would have an "organic feel" or similar nonsense: THE AH IS NOT THE GAME!)

    "Bid/Ask" might also help but I don't really understand how that would work.

    VERY EASY UI IMPROVEMENT:
    Gold border around price boxes when listing items for Gold rather than plat.
    Currently Most Wanted HEX development: AH overhaul

    http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psee8e7213.png

    Our CzE Recruitment Thread: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24252

  2. #112
    So I just went through my Gameforge history...ugh, wish I hadn't started it, but once I did I couldn't quit until I finished it.
    Ha, this is the truth. Once I started I had to finish all 278 pages in my log. I have 279 arena runs completed which is close to what I would have guessed. It was also interesting to see how much gold I have spent on spins.

  3. #113
    The Transcended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    "Bid/Ask" might also help but I don't really understand how that would work.
    In the context you're talking about, bid/ask acts like one giant ongoing auction instead of each listing being its own auction. Market price is continuously updated and indicated by the highest bid and lowest ask in tandem.

  4. #114
    Master of Gifs
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Zophiria
    Posts
    2,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    Really?
    You cut off the part of my quote where I agreed with you. We all know the AH UX needs work, everything you just said has been said many times before, including by me. I'm cool with you hashing it out again but try not to frame it as an argument against someone who supports what you're saying. The only thing I disagreed about was your hyperbolic statement about the AH fundamentally failing to support auctioning, that's clearly not true because the AH actually works, auctioning is possible, regardless of the issues, and to say it doesn't with such hyperbole just takes away from your argument.
    Last edited by Zophie; 01-02-2016 at 01:06 PM.

  5. #115
    Gigantisaur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens Georgia
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPheasant View Post
    You do have to do something else during the runs, listen to youtube videos, watch TV etc
    It strikes me as odd that a player chooses to play a game, that stops being entertaining, by doing something else for entertainment while playing the game. That seems way to much like work. Very low paying work at that.
    The art work for opening the chest is very nice.

  6. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    It strikes me as odd that a player chooses to play a game, that stops being entertaining, by doing something else for entertainment while playing the game. That seems way to much like work. Very low paying work at that.
    Any game that has any sort of economy running inside it will involve grinding at a certain point. You can't have a meaningful economy with items holding any value if the currency is easily obtained by everybody. Not everybody has to grind, but it is a way that some people decide to play within that economy, and grinders are a necessity in any economy.

  7. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    You cut off the part of my quote where I agreed with you. We all know the AH UX needs work, everything you just said has been said many times before, including by me. I'm cool with you hashing it out again but try not to frame it as an argument against someone who supports what you're saying. The only thing I disagreed about was your hyperbolic statement about the AH fundamentally failing to support auctioning, that's clearly not true because the AH actually works, auctioning is possible, regardless of the issues, and to say it doesn't with such hyperbole just takes away from your argument.
    I did indeed cut off the bit I didn't take issue with.
    I dispute that auctions happen in any meaningful sense -you have buyouts and you have last-minute snipes but people actually bidding on items up to the point where only one person is willing to pay that price at that time? If that ever happens on AH it's extremely rare.
    Things are sold but that is not the same thing at all.

    I don't agree with your apparent opinion that the AH is basically alright but would benefit from improvement: I think it's fundamentally not fit for purpose.
    This is why I raised it in this thread as Cory made a comment indicating complacency on the subject.

    Fortunately there are ways it could be changed relatively easily to make it functional.
    Last edited by Timlagor; 01-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.
    Currently Most Wanted HEX development: AH overhaul

    http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psee8e7213.png

    Our CzE Recruitment Thread: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24252

  8. #118


    Hmm, seems like fundamentally the hex auction house with all of its problems still allows for things to be sold to the highest bidder. Nothing inherently in the term auction implies fairness or time limits or precludes sniping. So i think zophie is right, it does work, it can be classified as an auction house. Also it needs improvement.
    ----
    http://i.imgur.com/I1MZpF8.png
    HexEnt is too long to type, They're HXE now.
    I am currently trading my unused GK code for a new Tesla Model S P85D
    Feel free to contact me for where you can have it shipped.

  9. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by poptasticboy View Post
    It seems I've done 317 Arena Runs to date. You can check (with a bit of work) by logging in to http://en.hex.gameforge.com/ then clicking Go To My Account, then Transaction History then Gold.
    TIL how to log on to the Gameforge site and get my two factor authentication set up. Much happier now!

  10. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    I did indeed cut off the bit I didn't take issue with.
    I dispute that auctions happen in any meaningful sense -you have buyouts and you have last-minute snipes but people actually bidding on items up to the point where only one person is willing to pay that price at that time? If that ever happens on AH it's extremely rare.
    Things are sold but that is not the same thing at all.
    Then we definitely need to have a talk with the folks at ebay because they're not auctioning either. Seems like last-minute snipes on items and buyouts is all I see over there too. I'm only being slightly sarcastic with this. Items are being bought and sold via the Auction House. Does the UI need to improve? Yeah. But saying this isn't an AH is like saying a conveyance with four wheels, motor, chairs and steering wheel isn't a car because it's not got a seatbelt, airbags and a satnav. Is it what I'd like to have? Nope. Will it work until something better can be put into place? Yep.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    Fortunately there are ways it could be changed relatively easily to make it functional.
    Eliding our differing definitions of "functional", modifications to the AH are never easy (relatively or otherwise). Any change needs to go through extensive verification testing since any failure could potentially cost real dollars if it affects platinum auctions. That's not even counting the difficulty of implementing new UI elements, back end functionality, usability testing, etc. And all of that work would come at the expense of new content (PVE and PVP).

    Software projects are a very tricky thing. . . . and when they intersect with anything to do with money, it becomes exponentially trickier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •