Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't I see any marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    I've been seeing HEX ads on Facebook for weeks. I think Gameforge is marketing this the way you would any free to play Candy Crush thing.

Also, Faeria doing well might have a lot to do with it being on Steam.

HEX needs to get on Steam.
    I don't understand the obsession some people have with a game being on steam.

Are people just going to play it because it is on steam? When they see it is not on steam are they going to not download it out of disgust?

From what I hear steam takes a chunk of your sales, so they need to determine (somehow) if the number of players it brings in will be worth it.

Personally I think if you make a good game and get the word out then steam means nothing but maybe that's because im older than all these new gamers.

Devoted Emissary
    Quote Originally Posted by magic_gazz View Post
    I don't understand the obsession some people have with a game being on steam.

Are people just going to play it because it is on steam? When they see it is not on steam are they going to not download it out of disgust?
    It's not an obsession, I for example don't like steam that much. for games you would buy anyway it's more a hindrance than usefull. But it has great marketing value, as a game reach much more people through Steam than without it, thanks to it's popularity, and built in marketing tools. A pop-up window for every Steam user around the world about the Hex release for example could have had a lot of players at least try out the game.

This is a big advantage what games like Spellweaver have vs. Hex.

Kinda, someone might lets say looking something like infinity wars and steam wil tell you thgat HEX is similiar game wiithout even seatrching for it.
    Proud Champion tier backer

Steam is the biggest marketing platform for games

Creator of shareyourdraft.com / Forum thread IGN: dBug Twitch: dBug404

Quote Originally Posted by dbug View Post
    Steam is the biggest marketing platform for games
    Steam's marketing is a byproduct of steam being a publication platform. Very different things. Hex's economy would be completely upended if it were to be published via Steam, as would the resources they commit to the game itself.

As much as I love Steam, Hex being published on it would be a very, very bad indicator of where the game is going.

Steam is the only reason many an indie game or early access product has survived. They have countless Free to Play mmos on it as well. If a game like Goat Simulator, where you play as a goat doing goat things.... if something like that can make it on Steam, HEX could break the bank. Such terrible games have thrived on Steam like RUST all because of the exposure the client gives the game. It reaches millions each day in the blink of an eye. The effect Steam has is similar to what would occur if PewDiePie or TotalBiscuit suddenly decided to review HEX and feature it on their youtube channels.

Devoted Emissary
    Byproduct or not, Steam's marketing is working. A game doesn't need it to be successfull, but it needs some kind of marketing. HEX had it during the KS, but since that... practically nothing.

Also, those rival games often also has better marketing outside of Steam, like more adds, reviews, giveaways, etc.

HEX doesn't even have an easily available relatively up to date wiki or even a rulebook, and it's homepage is extremely outdated. If for example you are looking for set 3's "new" keywords, then your only official source is the announcement article or ingame popups.

I think the dev team does a lot of great things with the game, and they have great plans too. But IMHO that's in itself is not enough to make the game really successfull.
    Last edited by Cainhu; 03-16-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Even worse grammar than what you see now

Quote Originally Posted by Cainhu View Post
    Byproduct or not, Steam's marketing is working. A game doesn't need it to be successfull, but it needs some kind of marketing. HEX had it during the KS, but since that... practically nothing.

Also, those rival games often also has better marketing outside of Steam, like more adds, reviews, giveaways, etc.

HEX doesn't even have an easily available relatively up to date wiki or even a rulebook, and it's homepage is extremely outdated. If for example you are looking for set 3's "new" keywords, then your only official source is the announcement article or ingame popups.

I think the dev team does a lot of great things with the game, and they have great plans too. But IMHO that's in itself is not enough to make the game really successfull.
    Show me the rulebook for hearthstone
    Member of The Unnamed Council - the Hex TCG PvE Guild
    Twice as nice as i seem and ten times as friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Steam is the only reason many an indie game or early access product has survived. They have countless Free to Play mmos on it as well. If a game like Goat Simulator, where you play as a goat doing goat things.... if something like that can make it on Steam, HEX could break the bank. Such terrible games have thrived on Steam like RUST all because of the exposure the client gives the game. It reaches millions each day in the blink of an eye. The effect Steam has is similar to what would occur if PewDiePie or TotalBiscuit suddenly decided to review HEX and feature it on their youtube channels.
    It's still comparing Apples to Oranges. Steam is a publication platform. Even during the KS, you could tell that Hex would not fit on that platform at all. Maybe there is an example, but I don't know any game on steam that has an active AH [from an indie game dev shop that is thriving]. Steam can't and will not curate the international community like Gameforge does, which is a large part of what makes Hex Hex. Nor will Valve put up 12 international employees to help out. Nor do I think Gameforge is taking 30 percent off the top of every transaction, and if they do, it is for the sake of growing the game more than making a profit (for now and a long while at least).

Putting Hex on Steam is going to give you a different game than we know, and will obliterate a lot of the things they want to achieve with the game as the publishing model will prevent innovation in certain areas they are trying to achieve.

If Hex would be that majorly successful on Steam and they can retain their form and format, another company will make an iterated game that looks very similar and sell it on that platform. That hasn't happened and probably won't happen.

I am more of a Steam fanatic than the next person, but again, if Hex is published on that platform, it means the vision of the game was ultimately a failure and they will have to re-haul most of their present and future work.

HexEnt's official line is that they haven't started a real marketing push yet - if they continually fail on getting new players after marketing pushes, than maybe they'll consider Steam, but I hope we don't go there anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by frychikn View Post
    how so? you buy cards, you get a better deck, which increases your chance to win. how is this not p2w exactly?
    You have been answered by several posters already, but just to add my two cents. In a P2W game whoever adds the most money wins, every time. In HEX no matter how much money you throw at the game, if you don't have any skill you will not win. To use myself as an example, I own 4+ of every card in the game. There is not a deck or combo I cannot make. Despite this, I did not win an IQ and get to go to Cali. My best finish was 10th. This game may cost money to play competitively, but you do not P2W.