Thread: I made a tournament schedule that shows staring time in your local time :)

I made a tournament schedule that shows staring time in your local time :)

As you may know I started, and are continuously developing WorkerBot together with a group of great people. We have some plans for new features in the future, but for now the bot is running stable and have most of the Ďmust haveí features to be the premiere HEX chat bot. The pride I feel every time someone is complimenting the bot is one of the greatest feelings, and I am glad that our hard work is paying off for the community!

With WorkerBot being what it is now I have some time to play around with my next project for the community. I canít really go into details, I donít want to hype some feature and then realize that I canít create it. What I can do is share the basic idea of the project and share a working bare-bones prototype I made.

My idea for my next project began with me missing a FiveShards weekly due to daylight savings time. I didnít account for the tournament starting early, so I missed it. I feel like there must be a better way than having to calculate time differences, or go to world-clock and figure it out. And an idea was born.

There is still a lot to be ironed out, but basically Iím going to do a scheduling site where you can look up when HEX-related stuff happens converted to your time zone. The browser and some awesome Javascript does the time conversion for you.

I made a table with all tournaments for April. Remember that this is a dumb prototype (my back-end is just a file where I manually added a json-array). I feel like this in its limited form still can be useful, so I hosted it at skaro.se/hex. Check it out and let me know what you think

wouldn't it be easier if you could type !5st and then workerbot says "The next "FiveShards tournament starts in 14 hours and 12 minutes."
    let him link to a time converting website is not making it easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salverus View Post
    wouldn't it be easier if you could type !5st and then workerbot says "The next "FiveShards tournament starts in 14 hours and 12 minutes."
    As I said, this is a dumb prototype, a proof of concept for a much bigger tool. The reason I wanted to release it is that it's quite useful (at least for me). The 'in 14 hours' part of the site is from a Javascript library called moment.js. If I would do something like that in WorkerBot I have to code it myself

Quote Originally Posted by skaro View Post

My idea for my next project began with me missing a FiveShards weekly due to daylight savings time. I didn’t account for the tournament starting early, so I missed it. I feel like there must be a better way than having to calculate time differences, or go to world-clock and figure it out. And an idea was born.
    If you copy the Google Calendar we have here to your own Google calendar, I believe it should show in your local timezone.

Of course, having additional calendars that are convenient/easy to use is great, but I want to make sure that this actually works right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrin View Post
    Of course, having additional calendars that are convenient/easy to use is great, but I want to make sure that this actually works right.
    It stores data in UNIX timestamps (milliseconds since midnight jan 1 1970 UTC), that are converted using moment.js to have them be readable. So it works I have tested it extensively (and have others test it) before I published it ^^

Quote Originally Posted by skaro View Post
    It stores data in UNIX timestamps (milliseconds since midnight jan 1 1970 UTC), that are converted using moment.js to have them be readable. So it works I have tested it extensively (and have others test it) before I published it ^^
    I meant the calendar we offer.

It does convert to local time. Had a few people on twitch chat ask since they didn't understand how to read it. The fiveshards calendar could use a link somewhere on the menu bar since right now you have to basically have find it and scroll down.

it doesn't convert to local time for me. Says for today (sunday) tournament is at 7 am, while it was 4 or 5 pm.
    And for yesterday (saturday) it says 4 pm, while it started at 0:00 midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Salverus View Post
    it doesn't convert to local time for me. Says for today (sunday) tournament is at 7 am, while it was 4 or 5 pm.
    And for yesterday (saturday) it says 4 pm, while it started at 0:00 midnight.
    If you check the start time, does it say the correct number of hours ago? I have tested it in IE, Chrome and Firefox in multiple time zones. Can it be something with browser settings?

Master Theorycrafter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubrin View Post
    If you copy the Google Calendar we have here to your own Google calendar, I believe it should show in your local timezone.

That is exactly what I needed! And it indeed does the timezone conversion for you when you add the calendar to your own Google Calendar :-)

PS: It would be great if the VIP's are tagged with Sealed / Constructed, so that you can spot this easily already from your calendar
    PPS: It would also be convienent if for each tournament you have a link to the page where you can find more information, e.g. for the upcoming Wild Cup that would link to: http://fiveshards.com/wild-cup-season-3/
    Last edited by nickon; 04-04-2016 at 02:16 AM.